Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie needing advice

Posted by jrjrj z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 17:38

Greetings,
My daughter (age 9) has decided she wants to try selling the black berries growing in field. We usually produce several gallons of the these wild berries. Is there a market for them and if so, how do I help her get started and how do I determine a price?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie needing advice

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 8-9 .... maybe
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 15:41

take them to your local Farmer's Market - you can usually sell them for $4 a pint, or $20 for a flat if they are nice.

:)

o

Don't be surprized if you find out that, in order for your daughter to sell fruits and/or veggies at the farmers market, she will have to first pay several hundred dollars in licences and fees and get a background check from the local police, FBI and CIA. That's what I found out when I inquired about selling a few extra veggies from my garden at the Farmers Market in my city. Too bad that it's come to that.

o

I'm always impressed when I hear about children who want to work to earn some money. GOOD FOR HERE! My daughter's been working since she was 9 too. You might not be able to just show up at market and sell. Many markets require membership. The membership fee helps pay for advertising, insurance, utilities and other expenses. Some markets will let you rent a table for a set amount per week without becoming a market. I don't think smaller markets ask for background checks. It's a shame it's like that in snappybob's city. =(

I have standing orders for blackberries as soon as they're ripe. I'll charge $3 for a pint and $6 for a quart. The raspberries weren't very good this year but the blackberries look like they'll be incredible.

Good luck!

o

• Posted by popi NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 22:11

Thats wonderful that your daughter is thinking like that. It must be tricky to picky them, with all those thorns ?

Another idea is..you could make the blackberries into a jams, or pies etc.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here