Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer lettuce question

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 18:24

I am transplanting summer lettuce soon and was thinking they should go in the shade house. Then I was concerned that they might not grow as well. Should I transplant these into full sun beds or directly under the shade cloth? This summer lettuce is new to me. This is the summer crisp variety mentioned by jslick in an earlier post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer lettuce question

Try this.
 photo CC0858F7-16C0-47A1-8586-82C431C48319-1211-00000B73A528F3B8_zpsb0982816.jpg
 photo 4F36F3C3-121F-4309-AA31-978C814ABF55-78355-000008DE78FD4EAD_zps2e86278a.jpg
 photo 8CDCEFAB-7899-46AD-AA16-ED93BFDC3946-1211-00000B73D81782CC_zpsb8790403.jpg

I use black binder clips to hold the shade fabric on. About $7 for 150 ft.

o

Do you transplant directly under that Minnie?

o

We are still picking from our 3rd and 4th plantings. I have a 5th one that is about ready and I was going to have a 6th one to transplant, but some hungry caterpillars ate them all down and I just threw them out. Sales haven't been all that great for the lettuce. We are selling about half of what we take on Wednesday we took 42 heads and sold 22. I picked so many because they are ready. We kept most of them in the cooler so we will sell those remaining 20 on Saturday and I will pick another 30 to go to our other market on Saturday.

I am seeding more in the house soon for this fall. Once I run out of lettuce, probably another 3 to 4 weeks, we will be out for a few weeks. Maybe this will catch peoples attention and be more eager for it this fall. We have been selling these heads since the end of April.

I will try your shade cloth idea with our fall plantings along with the sprinklers.

Jay

o

The shade and mist is working well. I have black seeded Simpson that we put in the beginning of April that is just starting to get bitter. We have been taking the oldest leaves as we go. Some are only 5-6 inches tall. A few around the edge will bolt every week. Oak leaf is holding out. I stared a hydroponic system this week and am going to try some of the Sumer crisp in it. I plan to cool the hydro water and mist the tops. See if we can't solve this growing lettuce in summer issue!

o

After 2 days trying to make photo bucket work on my iPad, hopefully attached is a pic of my shade house.
 photo 18905566-f677-427a-b2e6-69998cafcbc1_zpsd87ec5c1.jpg

It isin't finished in this pic. Still had to pull the cloth down and secure the bows.

o

Yes I transplant the lettuce into the white plastic and then put on the shade cloth. I have done several plantings. 2 main beds of lettuce. I have two trays of seedlings ready and no where to put them because the peas are still going now. Still, lots of succession planting to be done soon with garlic and peas almost over. The second pic above is the shade fabric over my summer greens mix. The left bed is the freshly seeded baby greens.
Summer greens, right bed:
 photo 25765412-8B3E-49A1-B23F-15E28F9ED294-33126-000003BC1928120B_zps31225acb.jpg
These are still doing well. The chard is catching up and the mizuna and kale and komatsuna really fill up a basket. We have been enjoying eating these so I assume the CSAs do too.

photo 66D42ABA-BAF2-455D-96FF-222D42B477F1-1211-00000B73C108C0D6_zps42acb002.jpg
1/2 bushel baby greens with kale on top and full bushel mixed lettuce direct seeded. These two beds of mixed lettuce will be picked out tomorrow and then corn plants go in Tuesday so we can have corn in mid Sept.
Most of these direct seeded lettuces are Pinetree's Summer Mix, reasonably priced and do well. I threw in some extra seeds into it. Been going through heat without shade cover! Black Seeded Simpson was the first to bolt this year. Buttercrunch did very well.

o

Looks good!

o

That does look good, Minnie - you making me hanker for a big, fresh salad. Love the presentation in the baskets. Your CSA people are sure lucky.

Tom

o

Thanks! That isn't for presentation though. That is how I pick. Then wash, spin and bag and put in coolers- one cooler for each person. I use a half gallon jug of ice and old towel in each cooler. then they can pick up within 24 hours and the stuff is still fresh.

o

That's how we are doing ours too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here