Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Flooding plasticulture

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

We switched over to plasticulture this year. Why you may ask, to save on irrigation water lol. Of course this is the wettest spring summer ever that I remember. Over 30 inches of rain since April 1. In years past we always had to irrigate and did that with sprinklers. This year we are using drip tape. We have only irrigated/ fertigated once because of standing water in the field.

Over the last week we have gotten 3 and 5 inch rain days. So now we are flooding. I am confident that if we wouldn't have done raised beds we would be ruined for the year.

My question is we stratigicly laid the field out to hold some water, but am thinking this may be too much. I have standing water everywhere and am thinking about using the skid steer to drain it. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this??

Comments (8)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I wish you could share your problem. We have had less than .5 inches of rain since June 3rd. On June 3rd we had a 1 inch rain. We are bone dry. 1/2 inch to 1 inch cracks in the yard and garden, the yard is crispy brown and dry. We have been keeping ahead of the watering with drip and plastic mulch helps retains the moisture. Enough about my problems.

I would leave the water alone, it will soak in. Of course I don't know how severe the standing water is. We put in all our beds across the hills to "Terrace" the water in and to control run off. This way we keep the water and get it to soak in instead of running off.

Is more rain called for? If so, it might be a good idea. But I don't know how much damage it would cause to your ground.

Sorry I can't help much. We just haven't had that problem, wish we did.

Jay

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know we are better off with water than without. I kinda want to leave so when mid July arrives and there is no rain for weeks at least it will be in the ground.

I am new to the plasticulture thing, plants look good but I am concerned I am going to screw it up somehow.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know we are better off with water than without. I kinda want to leave so when mid July arrives and there is no rain for weeks at least it will be in the ground.

I am new to the plasticulture thing, plants look good but I am concerned I am going to screw it up somehow.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I figured, went from water standing between every row just over a week ago to bone dry this week! Still trying to catch upon the weeds.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't think you can ever get ahead of those weeds.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I have learned that a weed wacker is a good friend. Well that is if you don't have vining crops planted in the plastic mulch! I planted a very weedy area to peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes. I have always fought weeds in this area. Most years I plant, weed, weed, weed, and mow off. This year with the plastic mulch, I have planted, weeded once by hand (around the plants) and weed wacked all the pigweed. I hope to have some nice late bell peppers, eggplant and tomatoes.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doing the exact same thing. My stihl 095 has been getting a workout. I trim as close as I can. Still have to do some weeding around the tomatoes and cucumbers but the rest isint bad. But with 800 foot of cucumbers, tomatoes and squash, I am eternally behind.

I have watered twice in the last week, that isint normal.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On an up. Side the potatoes just needed water today. Noticed a slight curl to the leaves today so pour the water to them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting