Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling on 4th of July

Posted by softmentor z9/sunset13 CA deser (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 18:50

Did any of you have market on Sunday July 4th? How did you do with it being a holiday?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling on 4th of July

Didn't sell on Sunday but both our two Saturday markets were the best so far this year - partly due to having the first melons of the season and partly to people looking forward to grilling out (sweet corn sold well as did nice slicing toms). Now that the Fourth is over it's time to bare down for the summer grind.

o

We had our regular Saturday market and it was my best market to date, with produce. It didn't hurt to have red, white and blue potatoes, 90 baskets of cherry tomatoes, and the first big tomatoes of the season. The first market with plants was better, but lets not compare.

Our Chamber moved their celebrations to the Courthouse Square, where our market is located. They had Breakfast and lunch, singers, dancers, inflatable jump houses for the kids and a baby walk. Hayrack rides, dunk tanks and face painting.

All that together with our market. I could have been busier, but I was happy with the day.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: July 3rd market pics

o

After doing the Saturday market, I'm glad we did not have a market on the 4th. We have had them in the past, our market does not take off for holidays, or rain or anything. Normally, over the past 11 years, our best days (for the 4th of july holiday) are the 2-3 days before. Then the next 3-4 days the sales are very low. It takes about a week for everyone to come back to the market after any holiday.

We had the best day for this year, so far. I'm expecting another 4 weeks of good sales. After that the back to school slump will start for 2-4 weeks. By Labor Days, sales will increase again and gradually slow down until the last 1-2 weeks of market. Our market ends the last of October.

o

Interesting! I did well. I didn't know what to expect but had a better than average day.
It's great seeing the new crops coming in time for something like the 4th! Just it time for good eating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here