Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrypatch_gw

Two issues with Sugar Snap peas

berrypatch
14 years ago

1. We have been growing Sugar Snaps for the past 10 years and have found for the past 4 or 5 years that we are getting flat podded peas mixed in (Johnnies). One year Johnnies refunded our money for the seed. This year we switched to Fedco from Johnnies as Fedco acknowledged that there was a problem and that they thought there would be a reduction in "rogues" this year. We haven't found that to be the case and have seen a 50/50 split between the Sugar Snap and flat pod. Fortunately we have been able to sell the flat pod, but would prefer to have just the Sugar Snap. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions regarding a different seed source?

2. We have always had a problem with black spots on the pea leaves starting from the ground and working upward. The vines gradually turn brown from the bottom up. This year it seems to be worse, perhaps because of an unusually long stretch of rainy and cloudy days. We are usually able to pick ahead of this so most pea pods are not affected. I think it may be a mildew and I know Sugar Snaps are vulnerable, but this not a white powdery mildew. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking of trying a couple different varieties next year to see if they would be more resistant.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services