Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea_path

Perennial plants -- necessities for selling???

sweetpea_path
16 years ago

Next year will be my first season selling specialty and/or unusual perennials and herbs at our local (rural) Farmer's Market. I've been reading lots of the earlier posts here and thought I'd do a spinoff of an earlier question about NECESSITIES. For those of you who are, or who have sold perennial plants, what items would you bring with you to each market day? I'm thinking of items such as cash box (or cash apron), chalkboard, tables, bags, plant signs...that sort of thing. It would be very helpful if you would share with me your "check list" of items to pack in the truck.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• paws4pets
    16 years ago

check out this link. Might be helpful
    Paws

Here is a link that might be useful: supplies

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, paws4pets ~ that's exactly where I got the idea for this post! The difference is, live plants vs. harvested veggies....what else might there be that I should be thinking about?

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I bring a watering can and a spray bottle. Now my market has the water hydrant turned on but in the first few months of the market year they weren't so I had to also haul water in buckets and jugs along with the plants (a big pain).

I have a small plastic tool box (cheap and dayglow yellow so that I can see it in the dark) where I stash all sorts of things - magic markers (black and silver ink sharpies), blank index cards, extra name tags (vinyl mini blinds cut into 8 inch sections), pencils, granola bars, sun screen, a small garden plant ID book - I don't remember its name but it has photos of just about every blooming plant in the garden and is only the size of paperback novel. And I have a nice pair of small pruners and a pair of scissors.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

As usual, trianglejohn, you have some great ideas! I love the idea of the perennial book! Wow, never thought of that. How great - that way you can show the customer what the plant will look like in bloom, if it isn't in bloom at the time.

sweetpea, one thing I bring is low, flat boxes. I offer them to the customer to carry their potted perennials in, or to use in their car to put the plants in. I use boxes that six-packs of soda and water come in (I have a free source, lol.)

I also bring the extra tags, markers, etc.

:)
    Dee

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Thanks

The silver Sharpie marker is for writing names on black or dark green pots - works like a charm.

I made a sign thingy (A-frame easle type contraption) where the front is a chalk board and the back panel is a bulletin board. I bring along photos of my garden showing the 'mama' plants of the babies I am selling. I think in the future I will make handouts on gardening basic techniques and pin them to the board also. People always want to know how to solve basic problems.

This time of year, the parent plants are often blooming in the garden though the baby plants I am selling aren't big enough to yet. So I bring along small vases where I stick in some blooming branches and place it in front of the potted babies. It really adds to the display and it is something I don't have to haul home. I usually start giving the cut flowers away near the end of the market. Some times even a photo of a plant in bloom won't thoroughly explain everything to a customer and they want to see the flowers and sniff the flowers for themselves. Since I usually sell small rooted cuttings, most of my stuff is won't be in flower until next year.

I grow a lot of unusuall stuff for this area and I will snip flowers or fruit and bring it to market even though I don't plan on selling it. Last Saturday I had some globe artichoke flowers and they brought a lot of attention to my display. They were a bit past prime so I didn't want to sell them but I bet I could have. Lots of people stopped and asked about them. Most people didn't know you could grow them here. It has also been a great year for Gloriosa Lilies and I brought a small bunch of their distinctive waxy blossoms and handed them out every so often. I only gave them to people that were just getting the market (I'm on the far end near the parking lot) and walking towards the other end. That way, I figured they would show off their flower all the way through the marketplace and tell everyone where they got it. Sales were up but everyone did want to buy Gloriosa's which I didn't have for sale (they would be a fall crop, after I dig the tubers).

Don't forget a dog bowl and fresh water. I make a big deal over the dogs at the market since I am an animal nut.

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GREAT ideas, folks! Love the idea of a bright colored toolbox to hold all the small stuff, keep it in one place. And the idea of the low, flat boxes -- very helpful, because yes, customers always ask for a bag or something to carry the plants in. I'll be doing primarily 4" pots, so 4 of those could fit easily in one of those plastic grocery bags with handles, but if a customer wanted to buy more than 4 (and we always hope they will) then the box idea would be just the ticket. I'll start stockpiling them now.

Had not thought of a vase with cut flowers of the plants I have for sale...excellent idea since we are all so drawn to blooms anyways. I'm a dog nut myself, so the bowl of fresh water idea is a must have!

Thanks much,
    Sweetpea

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting