Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theorganicfanatic

pricing blackberries

theorganicfanatic
11 years ago

I have blackberries that are not sprayed with chemicals and am wondering what they are going for in farmer's markets this year. I live in Ohio.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

I just finished selling mine. $3.50 per half pint two for $6.
    This is Southern California, two small markets and I was the only vendor with blackberries. At one market a guy had blueberries, $4 per half pint and it didn't seem to slow blackberry sales.

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

It really depends on what they are going for at your local markets. I also have sustainably raised blackberries (unsprayed, OMRI fertilizers and compost used for fertility) and I intend to sell them for $3 a pint out of my farm store but when I did farmers markets there was a guy next to me with 1/2 acre of conventional black berries and he got $2 a quart for them which meant that is what I had to charge as he was undercutting me and my customers who all claimed that organic was more important than price flocked to his stand for the cheap chemical berries.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Last year I was charging $5/pint for wild blackberries and sold out every time.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I never priced my wild berries the same as 'tame' berries, I was always more, and usually got whatever I wanted. I still have people that want my wild berries WHENEVER I want to pick them.

Any price on any item will be different from market to market, what California or NYC might get mostly likely will be more than what a small town rural market might get.

Marla

• teauteau
    11 years ago

We have a lot of blackberries wild and cultivated in the KC area and I was getting $3 a pint. A couple years ago, I tried $4 and only sold a few. However, some of the more upscale markets in the suburbs may be getting more.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Blueberries were selling $4.50/pt at market last week (I haven't picked my wild ones yet, the birds might have gotten them all this w/e). I think raspberries (cultivated) were $6/pt, imagine blackberries would be in between. I may raise my price this year - next year when I have cultivated blackberries I will have to charge more for wild than for the thornless Triple Crown since the wild are so much more a pain (literally!) to pick.

• henhousefarms
    11 years ago

We are running $4.50/pt also, but our quantities are pretty limited (maybe 25-30 pints a week). Have not had any trouble selling out. These are Triple Crowns with nice big berries.

Tom

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I never sold them for less than $3 pint, I think that was in 2000. The last ones sold for $5 or more per pint. Never did get any tame ones started.

Marla

• theorganicfanatic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like there is a wide variety of pricing going on. I doubt if I can get too very much around here for them. It's kind of scary to put a higher price on them as I need them to sell. But maybe they would sell high since I'm the only one selling them. I guess I will check the stores and see what they are going for. So far things around here are selling pretty cheap. Hard to compete.
    Thanks so much everyone for your help.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

You can always lower your price, it's hard to raise it (impossible to raise it the same season!).

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

What I have done in the past, is set my price that I want (usually high to very high in my opinoin), then if I don't sell any within 2 hrs, I lower the price 10% or so, after another 2 hrs, I'll do it again. After than I take them home and put them in the freezer, hubby will eat them during the winter time when fresh fruit is SO expensive or tastes like crap.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I make jam out of them and sell the jam for $6/halfpint.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I've never made jam, made jelly, but not jam. He enjoys the berries so much, never have too much. Plus usually I don't have extra.

One year, I did can some berries and sold them to a friend, it takes 1 1/2 qt of berries to 1 qt canned berries. I sold the qt for $8.

Marla

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor