Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Corn this late!

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

I realize this may be a dumb idea, but it won't be my first or likely my last. We are contemplating a planting of late sweet corn. We have the days but they are gonna be shorter and not as warm from here on out.
Thinking of tossing in 80 day bodacious that we always grow. Wondering if we should lay black plastic mulch with the beder? It will help keep the soil temp up and we can lay drip tape at the same time. Baring the I am an idiot comments, any chance this will work?

Comments (8)

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

I planted my last corn 9 days ago as seedlings into white/black plastic. My first frost should come late in September I hope. Obviously your date is later.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Go for it! You will never know if you don't try. I would get it in ASAP!

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like I am laying plastic tomorrow.

Our corn is selling so well that we only have the ugly ears to eat. I ain't complaining but I would like to sell as much as they will buy. When they get done we will eat the rest!

So black plastic drip tape and I think we will amend with some 12-12-12 to get the ball rolling!

We thought about going with a shorter maturity variety but we are never happy with it.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

We planted 85 day pumpkins last year around this time. We had some nice pumpkins for Halloween, but we poured the water to them!

Jay

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have plenty of water!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

All will depend when frost might come in. I've heard there are more bugs with later corn.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well today diddnt work out at all. Tractor breakdown has us dead in the water waiting on a couple 2.00 brass seals. I knew dad shouldn't have tried to fix that leak.

If I get it fixed tomorrow, still a chance. We will see.

On a good note along with getting all the CSA orders out today, we also managed to get some beds cleared back out and replanted for fall as well as sell every last ear of corn on the property.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I saw this old post today and wanted to add that while it was a very late planting and lots could have gone wrong we got some really nice sweet corn in October.