Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nineallday00

Core in greenhouse tomato varieties

nineallday00
10 years ago

Hi all,

I love the production, size, cosmetic appearance, and flavor out of two greenhouse tomato varieties called "rebelski" and "geronimo" barring one problem that many customers point out, some of them have quite a large core in them. We've somewhat remedied the situation by picking them when super super ripe, but its still an issue and is really bothersome. Anybody have any tips or other similar varieties with these high production levels of large beefsteaks without this core?

People just want everything out of their tomatoes it seems (large, perfectly round, no cracks, perfect stem, deep red, lots of meat/few seeds, early in the season, oh, and they want them to be cheap!) and its just hard as a grower to explain to a customer base why some of the best looking tomatoes look terrible and yet need to be twice as expensive for us to compete with the way better looking greenhouse adapted varieties!

Comments (8)

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

I tried about a dozen different red varieties last spring in my first season of high tunnel growing. Big Beef was the winner for me. The other varieties seemed to produce nice-looking tomatoes, but they were hard as rocks; they would sit on a counter for weeks without ever becoming soft.

For an orange high tunnel tomato, I had good luck with Orange Blossom F1 from Johnny's. Taxi was my best yellow. I also liked growing Northern Delight, which is a red saladette, and Terrenzo, which is a compact red cherry tomato.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

for red tunnel tomatoes i've had good success with BHN 189, 589, and 1021. for orange BHN 871. i;ve also grown ramapo, oregon spring, and a wide variety of heirlooms inside.

• K K
    7 years ago

nineallday00 hi, i was planning to plant geronimo and rebelski in my upcoming GH as the main beefsteak varieties but just found out that these varieties have this green core problem. Did you find any solution or have you switched to some other variety? Thanks.

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

I've grown both of those varieties and have not noticed the problem. I believe Potassium deficiency might be a possibility but I'm not certain.

Many don't recognize these as greenhouse indeterminate varieties with yields similar to Big Beef but with a few added disease resistance benefits. Two others you might try are Caimen and Big Dena. I feel that all 5 varieties are great in many aspects including a prolonged harvest that you won't get with determinate varieties.

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

The core is STRUCTURAL ... it's what holds the tomato onto the stem and supports the pulp.

If you could breed a HUGE tomato with little or no core, it would probably fall off the stem before it was ripe.

• K K
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Barrie, In my county only one university is growing these beefsteak and cherry tomatoes for research and commercial purposes on 5 acre hydroponic farm for 8 years, but they are not willing to help anybody except themselves personally and don't share any type of data or knowledge even with their own students. So i don't have any other option to get help except from reading books and asking questions on this forum. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions on the
    forum which benefits hobby growers and wannabe commercial growers like
    me. Really appreciate that.

• Daniel Fera
    3 years ago

Rebelski is the most reliable tomato we grow. It is leaf mold and powdery mildew resistant and it has a vigorous and consistent growth habit that lends itself perfectly to trellising to a single leader. But it’s not the best tasting tomato out there, and it does have that annoying white core problem that a few customers have complained about.

Trial Torero as a possible replacement for Rebelski. They are very similar in growth habit, with Torero producing slightly heavier yields of slightly bigger fruit. It‘s better tasting than Rebelski as well.

Caiman is our go to tunnel tomato for taste. It produces heavy yields of large deep red tomatoes that have that classic beefsteak look inside, but doesn't have as long a shelf life as Rebelski or Torero.

Neither Caiman nor Torero have powdery mildew resistance bred into them. This was quite obvious to us last season when PM swept through our tunnel. The row of Rebelski stayed green and healthy while the Caiman and Torero on either side quickly succumbed to the disease.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner