Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_minnie

Urgent- need price for pickling onions and peppers

little_minnie
12 years ago

I have 1/2 peck small pickling onions for sale at my market and no idea of the price. Also will be selling 1/2 peck hot banana peppers for pickling. Need price. Searched for a long time for a good pickling recipe to put with them and never found the right one! ugh I am way late to bed now.

Comments (22)

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Can't help you on the prices. Around here you can get $2/lb for banana peppers, I don't know about onions. Does your state Ag Dept put out a weekly price survey? Most do (though not many hot peppers have been sold in CT this summer, at least according to our surveys).

Here's a safe recipe - I haven't made it so can't vouch for taste. NCHFP is the "go-to" site for canning info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Banana Peppers

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Oh, and here's one for the pearl onions. Do you have any small (cornichon-sized) cukes? I can give you a recipe for those too, they use some pearl onions. Or maybe giardiniera?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Onion recipe

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

When I can't figure a price, I put $1/lb and hope I did right.

Hubby made some pickled onions and peppers this year, he liked them.

Good luck

Marla

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!
    Do you think the onion recipe could be adapted to quart jars? Not many onions would fit in a pint.

I didn't sell the peppers and decided to pickle pepper slices myself. I would like to have some on hand and hub will like them.

I sold one 1/2 peck/ 4 quarts of onions for $6. I have 2 left. maybe I will pickle those myself too if they don't sell. peeling like in that recipe doesn't sound too bad.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

If the NCHFP site doesn't list a processing time for quarts, then they haven't tested it and you can't just make up your own time. I thought you said these were small onions (I assumed pearl)?

Personally, I don't like onions all that much, I'd throw them in with other veggies (using the vinegar/water ratio and processing time for the strongest brine and the longest time). Lots of recipes for mixed pickles, if you don't like the NCHFP one The Joy of Pickling and Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving have some good ones.

If you only have 2 quarts of onions left pints would be fine - my 16 qt stockpot I use as a BWB only holds 4 pints anyway (not deep enough for quarts).

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

We put them in pints, but the onions and peppers were slices. Then pickled them.

Marla

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been selling a half peck tiny onions for $6. There is a lady that comes and buys them and 'pearls' them in a cream sauce.
    The half peck of hot banana peppers has not sold even with the pickling recipe. I marked them $10. So I did one batch myself and have another batch to do tomorrow after I get more vinegar. So how much for a pint jar of pickled pepper rings?
    They are ok to sell at my market.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Anything that has a acidifer added (vinegar) is NOT allowed in Indiana, unless you have a certified kitchen AND you pass a canning course. I don't know what you could charge, but Sam's Club sells a qt for $5 or less.

I can't sell either sweet or hot banana peppers after the first week or so.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Can't sell acidified foods in CT either without well testing for e. coli, pH testing and a Food Safety Handling course. Or a commercial kitchen with a registered process.

Marla - what do you mean you can't sell banana peppers "after the first week or so"? Mine are just starting to get big enough to pick, hope to sell some this week. Bell peppers are too small (except for the Chablis that I was leaving on the plant hoping they'd ripen). I might have some green bells big enough to sell by the end of the month (another farmer up the road said he never had much luck with peppers unless they were big enough to stuff, but I noticed he has some small bells, some Anaheims, and some jalapenos last week - the market master was selling Hot Hungarian Wax - some pickled - and cherry bombs).

Sorry I didn't notice what pints of pickled peppers were going for at my market - I can check Friday if that's not too late for you, Minnie.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Yup, once the first week of picking is done, nobody wants any banana peppers, like they get all they want in the first week. For me, that long before July 4th.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Darn - hope people here will want some this week.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

you might sell some where you are at, I just can't around here. Good luck.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Well, nobody wants the hot peppers (though I did have sell some serranos a couple weeks ago, and 1 lady asked if I had anything hotter). Hope they want the mild ones, but nobody wanted any Anaheim-type Numex.

I might not even go to market this week, now looks like T-storms Friday afternoon.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't usually try to price like Sam's Club.

I pickled a half pint of bhut jolokias and a half pint mixed bhuts and other chilies. I am going to mark the bhuts pretty high. I should have poked each one though because they are floating. I pickled them with homegrown garlic.

The prices for pickles at my market are quite high in general. We don't need certification to sell pickles.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Minnie, I didn't mean anything, Sams is the only place I've seen pickled banana peppers. Whatever Sams' price is, I would double or more.

I'm glad you don't need the certification, I just mentioned that in Indiana you do, but you're not in Indiana.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Whoa Minnie! You pickled bhuts?! You'd better include a free fire extinguisher with those jars! At least include a warning...

Do you have any milder peppers? I'd put just 1 bhut per pint of jals or cherries or bananas, most people won't be able to handle straight bhuts.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha ha I pickled one jar all bhuts but it didn't seal properly and ended up in my fridge. The other jar I did was 4 or 5 bhuts mixed with other peppers. They would make cool gifts for someone who liked hot stuff. I will try again with the bhuts and poke a hole in them and get the jar to seal!
    If people like hot peppers they really love them! You just have to find the right people. I had customers drive from all over to buy Bhut seedlings this spring. 2 hours away even! I sold out and only ended up with one plant for me.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I've got a good recipe for whole pickled peppers - did it with red and green jals last year for DH, just did green serranos a couple weeks ago when they didn't sell (just 2 jars so stuck them in the fridge). I use white wine vinegar for DH but you may just want distilled (or cider, though it won't be as pretty) to sell (I also leavev out the oil just b/c I'm uncomfortable with it, though this small amount has been tested as safe):

Pickled Whole Hot Peppers from the Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich

2 pounds small chile peppers
    8 small garlic cloves
    8 whole allspice berries
    16 black peppercorns
    2 small bay leaves, torn in half
    2 cups cider, white wine, or distilled vinegar
    2 cups water
    4 tsp pickling salt
    1/4C olive oil (optional - I leave this out)

1. Rinse the peppers, slit them twice lengthwise, and trim the stems to above 1/4 inch. Divide the garlic and dry spices among 4 pint mason jars. Add the peppers. In a nonreactive pan, bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil. Pour the hot liquid over the peppers, leaving slightly more than 1/2 inch headspace, then pour 1 Tbsp olive oil into each jar if desired (do NOT increase the oil!). Close the jars with hot 2-piece caps. Process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath (see NCHFP site for instructions on how to do this if you are unfamiliar).

2. Store the cooled jars in a cool, dry, dark place for 3 weeks or more before eating, to allow flavors to develop.

NCHFP also has a recipe for Marinated Peppers if you want with oil but again do not increase the proportion of oil to vinegar.

That's heartening about selling the seedlings - though I didn't want to sell seedlings of the same varieties I was growing, felt like I was sabotaging myself. Maybe next year. How have the hot peppers sold for you this summer? Out of the 3 weeks I've brought serranos to market they only sold 1 week. Just now getting ripe cayennes - the ripe ones I had last week didn't sell. Lady next to me sells fresh salsa and does a good business - think it would help to sell "salsa fixin's" all packaged up with a recipe (tomatoes, hot peppers, bells, maybe jars - I don't grow onions or garlic and my cilantro didn't come up)? I've been thinking of doing the same with "pickle fixin's" next year, just package some dry spices for pickling mix with some of my cukes (and dill if it grows - that didn't come p either) and pickling salt in a jar with a recipe for quick pickles or fermented pickles.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Didn't bring any banana peppers this week - going to wait til next week. I sold 4 Anaheims and 4 jalapenos, no serranos. Asked another vendor who was selling Hot Hungarians, Padron, etc. and she said they didn't sell well.

FWIW, she was selling 8 oz jars of pickles and pickled peppers for $5, pints for $6.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I sure hope you sold something else, otherwise it must have been a bad day.

I figured out that I can sell some of the plants but don't try to sell the produce.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Yeah, I sold a jar of raspberry jam (from my private stash - I only made 5 jars this year). So I made more than gas money (market is only 15 mil round trip from my house).

Today was better - neighbor was having a yard sale so DH brought table to end of the drive for me, I sold some tomatoes, peppers, and more jam but still only made $9. I got some traffic but the only sales were to the next-door neighbor and the mail carrier - at least they may be repeat customers, though I gave neighbor a jar of tomato jam to try after her DH bought blueberry preserves and she bought tomatoes. Mail carrier asked if I was out every Sat, I said no but if you want to come down to the house any day and ask, I'll go pick for you if I don't have stuff already picked. Only plants left alive after 15 inches of rain in past 10 days are right behind the house.

• rhashell
    12 years ago

If it ok to sell pickled items I would charge $5-$6 pint.
    Peppers are not a big seller at my markets eaither. Only bells!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH