Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frogy_gw

scales

frogy
18 years ago

ok,i need help with this.looking for a scale for my garlic farm.an old style hanging type.havent had anny luck on ebay.would like to keep it under $100.00.i like the grocery store types that hang with the galvanized tray or scoop.at least 20 lbs copacity.i need one despretly as our garlic fest is coming up in september and my other scale got stollen.does annyone have an exstra to get rid of ??or anny ideas on ware i can look for one.?thanks for your help

frog

Comments (7)

• snappybob
    18 years ago

I bought my 30 lb Toledo on ebay a few years ago for $60. At the time there were an abundance of them but I agree they seemed to have disappeared. You might try calling some of the supermarkets in you area that might have just recently converted to digital scales. Find out what they did with all of there old type scales. You might get luckey. Auctions might be another source.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

For garlic I think a digital scale would be best. There are some that are not much above the $100 range you said.
    This is where we got ours . we got the computing scales $259. There is one in there paper catalouge that is smaller and (legal for sales) for $ 129. I am sure you could call them about this one. They do have hanging scales too. http://www.alliedkenco.com/scale.htm
    the garlic lady

• frogy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you garliclady.one more ?.why do you prefer the digatal scales of the hanging scales?just currios.thanks
    shannon

• garliclady
    18 years ago

Try weighing one head of garlic on a hang scale? Things that weigh alittle but you charge a lot like garlic and mushooms give you an exact weight & price on a digital scale . A few ounces may not matter much with squash but when you are measuring soomething light and pricy you may lose a $1.oo or more per piece. We sell garlic shallots and mushrooms and these items $6-12 a pound and accuacy means money with them.

• frogy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you,sence you put it that way i abanded the hanging scale idea.ive benn planning to sell by the pound and a set price on a bulb (like so much for the small ones so much for the big ones)so not haveing to deal with whaights under 1lb.then you mention loss of $ that way.well im takeing your advice and splurging on one.im new to this selling garlic thing,ive allways given it away.but now that my beds are gettin allot bigger and i bought 3 1/2 more acers just for garlic.i better figure out how to sell it.i got the growing part down well,but not the bissness part.ive got our garlic fest at our herb farm to sell most of it(we"ve had garlic fests for the last 4 years but our main garlic producer is defeated by illness and is not growing so i took it over for the fest)i allso got a few markits on the list and acouple resturaunts.so i deffenetly have a reason to grow it.just gotta work on selling it.its ben helping to get rid of some herbs allso.
    shallots,ive ben interested in them .do you have a link for me about growing shallots?
    thank you so much for your help,and ill keep lkearning,thanks agian
    frog

• CatGrass
    18 years ago

Frog - if your market does not require a legal for trade market, you can get a postage scale on Ebay for 35 dollars. If you must have a legal for trade scale, buy a good one if you can, with a price calculator. You will be so happy you did, and so will customers. We just bought one after using a cheap postage scale and we don't know how we lived without it. The link to the place we bought it from is below - maybe you could find a better price, but we gave up hunting and bought one.

Here is a link that might be useful: scale

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

Be sure to check beyond what your market requires on scales. State and federal laws out rank the market's requirement.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery