Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
catawissa bulbils for scallions, white shallots

Posted by jayreynolds zone 6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 7:49

This forum doesn't have an exchange sub-forum for trades, but my offer is best suited for amarket grower, so I am posting it here. I have five pounds of topset bulbils of the Catawissa type multiplying onions for exchange. I would like in exchange some variety of shallot, asian chives or multiplier onions, but would consider other planting material of equal value, no ornamentals or seeds, please. I would prefer one five lb trade for this material, but if no takers would consider a smaller trade.

The bulbils range from 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch in diameter and number approximately 500 per lb, for a total of 2500 "sets". I would plant them now at 2" spacing, and expect them to each produce 1-5 saleable scallions within 60 days. This amount should plant around 400 feet of row at 2" spacing, for an approximate yield of 7500 scallions.
I currently sell the scallions in an 8-10 stalk bunch banded together.

The variety is reliably hardy at low zones, but will go dormant during winter and reemerge in spring to produce at least 1" underground bulbs which can be sold as 'shallots' if thinned to 4" between each plant. The 'shallots' are white with a purple blush on the outer layers. By midsummer the plants will produce new bulbils on flower stalks which can be replanted to renew the growing cycle. Thus, the plants yield three saleable items, topset bulbils and underground bulbs for 'shallots'(midsummer), and scallions(late summer/fall).

I have found them far easier to plant than seeded onions, planting is basically just like bush beans, drag a 1-2" deep furrow in the soil and drop in the sets, cover and watch them grow. I am successful using wood chip or shredded leaf mulch over the row immediately after planting, and the plants are able to easily emerge through
2-3" depth of mulch. They are also cheaper than purchased onions sets because they reproduce themselves and once the growing cycle is established no further purchase is necessary.
===================================
Item 2
------
I also have eight lbs of true shallots which are an unnamed white skinned variety from Louisiana. The sets are 3/4 to 1" in diameter with good yields of shallots up to 2" diameter. I would like in exchange some variety of shallot, asian chives or multiplier onions, but would consider other planting material of equal value, no ornamentals or seeds, please. I would prefer one 8 lb trade for this material, but if no takers would consider a smaller trade.

Please let me know via email regarding trades for eithr of the two items.
Thanks,
Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Links about Catawissa Onions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: catawissa bulbils for scallions, white shallots

Jay I still intend on trading garlic for shallots will email you soon
The garlic lady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here