Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thumbfarmerlady

How deverse do you get fro your market booth?

thumbfarmerlady
19 years ago

My main focus has been potted herbs. In the spring I did the plastic 3" cell tray with a generous herb for $3 or two for $5 w/no chemicals. Sold well then into clay potted herbs for the patio and inside herb garden. They are hard to handle but I feel well worth the effort. I've been growing arugula and spicey mesclun mix. Sells well for a "new to this" crowd. Fresh cut herbs sell sometimes. I have stuck with the basics.

Back to the main ? here... At your markets just how deverse do some of the booths get at your markets? I've heard of some selling coffee etc...(Which I may ad to mine)

I hope to add hand sewn items and bath products too.

Could you share some ideas on the varity you do or have seen at market?

Tlf

Comments (3)

• kevinw1
    19 years ago

Our market has about 40 vendors. About 1/4 of those have a specific thing that they focus on, and no sidelines (except perhaps at specal events). All the others have several focuses, or a main focus and one or more major sidelines. Some do so many things it would be hard to sy they have a focus at all :-)

We are the only market in a fairly isolated and not very large (18,000 including town and the rural area) community so we get a wide variety of vendor types, and there's not really enough volume of customers to support most specialties.

Kevin
    Powell River, BC

• Bob_Piper
    19 years ago

We too sell mainly potted herb plants but I have found that 4" pots sell better than the 3" we used to use. You know that everyone nowadays wants "instant gratification" and a larger healthier looking plant, which will bring a bigger price, sells better for us.
    Seasonally we offer 4" tomato and pepper plants and just this year, thanks to a great article I read in Growing for Market newsletter, I found that certain basils, tomatoes, and pepper plants sell really well in 3 gal. nursery cans for $15 each. I plant these extra early since I know from experience that the tomatoes and peppers sell much more quickly if they have fruit on them already. The selling point on these is that they can remain in the 3 gal. container all season long and don't have to be put in the ground. Lots of apartment and condo dwellers as well as the elderly will jump on these as they are just the thing for patio, deck, balconey and even inside before the first frost. We have sold daylilies in gallon pots, other ornamentals (perennials in the late Summer and early Fall), ornamental peppers in gallon pots at $6 and $7 for the past six years, and fresh garden produce. Our customers just are not in tune with fresh cut herbs (surprise!) so we dropped that idea. Next year we are adding several experiments and I am most excited about cut flowers so we'll see what happens.
    I hope this helps. Questions? Email me.

Bob

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

Our market is small but diverse. Seedlings, large plants, preserves, dried flowers, fresh flowers, dried flower products, handmade soap, herbs, eggs, candles, baked goods, dog bones, wild harvested mushrooms, fruits, pumpkins, gourds, seashells, and vegetables. Someone is joining next year to sell pictures and note cards made from "real Maine flowers." We are looking for more artisan vendors.

Sponsored