Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Let Me Run An Idea Past You

sandhill_farms
19 years ago

We have two acres in a small valley in Southwestern Nevada. I'm currently growing veggies for our own use, but I'm thinking of expanding and growing for market. We do have a local Farmers Market but it's very-very small as there's just no interest around here for market growing. This once agricultural area is now being replaced by subdivisions and gated communities and available open land is shrinking by the day, (you all know the story). It saddens me to see this happening but in an effort to make lemonade out of lemons I have the following idea I'd like to run past you knowledgable people:

I have a fully restored 52 Ford 8N Farm Tractor. I'm thinking of building a vegetable cart that I can pull behind my tractor and parking it at various locations throughout the valley to sell my "locally grown" vegetables. Personally I think the "city folk" that are moving here in droves would really get a kick out of it. What are your thoughts?

Comments (5)

• randy41_1
    19 years ago

i think its a great idea as long as the local authorities dont mind. i would check that out first.
    and while urbanization is bad its one of the ingredients required to make a farmers market work.

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

with growing cities, there is a greater need for fresh veggies - the Seattle area farmers markets do EXTREMELY well because that's the only way some of the city people can get fresh veggies. I imagine one of the problems in Nevada is the temperature --- hot days in Seattle means fewer shoppers - and I know it's twice as bad in Nevada.

Have you considered selling wholesale to smaller grocery stores? A friend that now sells exclusively at markets was doing that before she started market selling (small amount of land, no employees, not enough product or time to do both) This may be an option for you if your markets are so small that it won't support your business --- you need something to do with your produce (throwing it out is NOT a good option) if you grow it but can't sell it at a market - maybe make wholesale growing # 1 and then if you have more product than you can wholesale, take it to market.

I forget what they call this - selling shares that entitles each share to a box of fresh veggies during the growing season - some farms do very well doing this.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

>>>>I forget what they call this - selling shares that entitles each share to a box of fresh veggies during the growing season - some farms do very well doing this. CSA - Community Supported Agriculture. Very popular. It's good for the farmer and the customer.

I think pulling a veggie stand behind an old tractor is an awesome idea. I'm a market farmer who has two acres of vegetables and no need for more but I'd stop and buy from you just because it's so neat. I want an old restored pick up to go to market in.

I second Randy's suggestion of checking with authorities to be sure it's alright.

If you do this I suggest you be in the same spot on the same day of the week at the same time dependably. Happy customers will keep coming back and they'll tell their friends about you.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    19 years ago

It sounds wonderful! It's way better than being tied down to having a roadside stand and having to hire staff, which is what I was dreaming of. Thank you for the idea. It sounds like you are in the perfect market situation. You will have the market cornered. Our communities are similar. They would love it. Robin in NC

• adrianag
    19 years ago

I think it's a great idea. Things to check out first:

- Zoning - where will the Zoning Nazis allow you to park? If it's on private land you'll need to the owner's permission AND check with the zoning Nazis, if it's on a public right of way you probably need to check with County/City/State bureaucrats

- Business License - here in Alabama you need a "Peddler's License" or a Transient license to do this, some states exempt farmers from all forms of business licenses.

- Sales taxes - you probably need to register with the state revenue authorities - in some states direct sales from farmers are not subject to sales tax, but the y still make you send in a monthly report (Florida).

Sponsored