Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multi-plant plugs?

Posted by rustico_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 10:33

Is anyone else doing this in cell flats or blocks? Have you tried it but discarded the practice for bad results?

In reading Eliot's book The New Organic Grower, I find in the chapter on soil blocks, some coverage of multi-plant transplant blocks. He recommends planting several types of vegetables out as blocks of 4 to 12 plants and giving them wider spacing to grow in the garden. An example is four broccoli plants in a block transplanted on 24" inch spacing in the row with rows 30" apart...or bulbing onions, or beets transplanted out 4 to a block. He explains various advantages and I think there could be many more.

I am interested in doing this and will do some for my fall garden... just looking for your experience and lessons learned.

Thanks,
Russell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multi-plant plugs?

I have done it with Broccoli, here is a picture.
Photobucket

Here is a planting group
Photobucket

I started them in 1801 trays, each cell is about 3.5 inches square. I put the seeds towards the four corners of the pots.

It worked well, actually it was my last good crop of broccoli. Since then it has been ravaged by drought and heat.

Jay

o

I think it would depend on the crop. Things that are planted multiple seeds per hill should be ok, but I wouldn't tried broccoli, since the heads are usually determined by how much room they have to grow. I've done it with basil without any problem, since I transplanted again later into a larger pot.

Marla

o

Neat,Jay, Thanks!

o

yep, basil is easy to start heavy. I just transplanted out 72 plugs with and average of 5 very strong plants each. Still, not sure if this is crowding it in the garden? Any possibility they would be better planted as individual plants instead of in bunches? Basil has done very well, but I loose control of it after two or three cuttings and have to just mow it down and let it come back with nice stuff.

I am looking forward to trying beets in blocks on 6"x16" spacing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here