Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_brown_gw

help name my business

mark_brown
17 years ago

Hi, would like suggestions for the name of my business, getting bigger and doing more retail and got to have a name and logo and the like. just been doing business aqs weel my name but eant something that describes the product or catches ones atttentio.

i grow the first tomato of the season, in a greenhouse that has no heat but has automatic ventilation i have garden fresh tomatoes 8 weeks before the home gardner. andthey are real tomatoes and dead ripe. like they say the best tasting tomato is the first one of the season, well first good one any how.

i have a skilled lady who is doing my logo and design and the like for free i could never afford her but she has taken an interest .

i have seen her work and it is top notch.

so your seggestios please

Paul's perfect tomatoes

first tomato

real tomato

first real tomato

?????

????

thanks paul

Comments (7)

• PonderGuy
    17 years ago

Be careful naming your business after one product...

What if you decide later to do first tomatoes and peppers and cukes etc, or no tomatoes at all.

I have seen businesses with strawberry in their name that do not sell strawberries. If I went to their farm I would expect strawberries...

Maybe "Paul's Homegrown" or "Homegrown Gardens" or "Homegrown Acres"

People are always asking "Are these homegrown?"

• mark_brown
    Original Author
    17 years ago

good point, ponderguy PA , i do agree and had forgotten that
    something about home grown goodness will suit just having trouble getting a idea
    was thinking home grown vine ripened in a circle about the name perhaps thanks

• garliclady
    17 years ago

You could have a tomato in your logo but not in your name.
    Like "Pauls Finest" or "Paul's homegrown" With a tomato type logo. That way if you expand later and want to change the logo you could with out changing your name.
    We named our farm "Cornerstone" and later realized when we wanted to expand to the web that there were 100's of Cornerstone Farms. So we added Garlic to our name although it is not the only thing we sell but something we specailize in. Most local folks know us by our first name but adding a specialty item to our name has helped us on the web. So if you really want tomato in your name you could use it- After all Totaly Tomatoes (seed company does sell more than tomatoes)

• digit
    17 years ago

I think you are on to something, Paul, - setting your business off from other outfits. That looks like what the GarlicLady is saying also.

About those tomatoes - The name could be a trademark used by your business to identify a product (your early tomatoes). A business name, identifying the business, might be something different.

Maybe if you've got a lot of money to sink into advertising, you can create a "brand" but I believe it is easier to go with a name like "Newman's Own." It took the entire country only a short time to understand that this was Paul Newman's enterprise (or, at least, named for him and his family). It takes the money of a Warren Buffett and a very clever ad agency to turn GEICO into a household word.

Below is a link to a site suggested by the Univ of Southern Cal business people to help with naming a company. It's quite involved but may give you lots and lots of ideas if you want to explore the process.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: business name generator

• paveggie
    17 years ago

Think I might not chose "first" as my only selling point. For one, you might not be the first -- others use hoophouses, too. Second you not only want to be first but continue to provide quality product through the season.

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I plan on always growing bananas and tropical plants along with other stuff, so I named my place "Northern Tropics". That works for my greenhouse stuff too.
    Are you planning on doing all veggies, or plants too? You might not want homegrown goodness if you aren't selling foods.
    I like the suggestion of "Paul's Finest" it's generic and doesn't tie you down to just one thing or season. It can be evolved into whatever you like by using banners at different times of the year. Sometimes you could back that up with "homegrown goodness", sometimes you could put up a banner for say, "pumpkins and mums" and other times even "fresh christmas trees" if you wanted to.
    Have fun!

• seneca_s
    17 years ago

I like "Paul's Homegrown" It's simple, I don't think you need goodness at the end. Makes you feel like you're just buying from a regular guy. I always look for what I can buy locally and I think more and more people will see the importance of local food.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery