Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where should I put my new hoophouse?

Posted by wisgalloway SW WI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 11:06

We have been thinking casually thinking about hoophouses for a few months when we saw one for sale very close to us for a reasonable price.

It is a 30x32 gothic arch type. My questions is about siting. We primarily want to use it for season extension but may also do some starts in it for sale at the farmer's market. We live on a ridge in southwestern Wisconsin and occasionally have some very high winds.

Here are the two locations - which do you think would be best?

1. Site #1 - Flat area between two pole sheds that run east-west. Although the ground is flat, there are some low spots and we would have to haul in some soil from somewhere else on the farm to raise it. I thought the structure might benefit from protection from our NW winds in the winter, although it seems that our most violent storms come straight out of the west. There is one large spruce tree that would be about 75' southwest of the site that would make some shade in the late afternoon and a barn about 40' to the east.

2. Site#2 - sloped area out in the open - fully exposed to the wind, but no shade issues - would require some re-grading of ground - probably with a small dozer, but has good soil under it. Farther away from house (might have to walk through snowdrifts in the winter to access it.

Basically the big issue is site 1 has some potential shading problems, but is more protected and conveniently located. Site 2 is in full sun, but is exposed and less convenient.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where should I put my new hoophouse?

I can't tell you where to site it, but I can tell you that you should investigate if you need a building permit. I know you might not think so for a simple hoop house, but I found I did. I know I was surprised. If I had built it and then the county saw it I would have had to pay double and maybe take it down even then. A permit for that size cost me $400 so double would have been $800. Just a word of warning on the chance you were like me.

o

i think full sun is important. i've had a lot of trouble with the wind and my hoophouse but i wouldn't want to lose the heating ability of having it located where it gets the maximum amount of sun.

o

I agree with the guy above. If you're using it for season extension on both ends of the spring and fall, you need sun to heat it both times of the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here