Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillbillymick

leasing land

hillbillymick
10 years ago

I looked around, and didnt find this subject. I have outgrown my yard and would like to lease a little land.

Does anyone here do that? Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• Mark
    10 years ago

I rent 2 different pieces of land from neighbors that i've become close with and have a very simple farming relationship with.
    My suggestion to you is to go for it, it doesn't have to be all that complex. Talk to you neighbors that have farmable land. Drive around and check google maps looking for a space that could work for you. Irrigation is always a plus.

Some folks may be able to get an agricultural deferral for lower property taxes if the land is being used for farming. This adds extra incentive to rent/lease land to farmers.

-Mark

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

I actually spent the last two years farming on different pieces of leased land. I finally got my own place, because it was getting inconvenient and expensive, with the money spent on gas, idling in traffic (some plots were in the city), time lost driving around and so on.
    Try to settle for just one large piece of land to minimize your gas costs. Research availability of irrigation and fencing.

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

Get a lease in writing. If you have any disputes later down the road, it's a contract issue, and everything is determined by what is written in the contract. If I were the land owner, my first worry would be that you could get hurt and sue me. Make sure that all of the worst-case scenarios are provided for through waivers and insurance.

• hillbillymick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much folks!

I have a couple places in mind. Both have land ditting idle and water available. I am a little unsure of what to offer to pay?

I want to be fair,, but i know i am going to have to put some money of my own in to either spot. Soil eill definitely take some work

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

The rate would depend on how far out the land is in the boonies, and what kind of assistance the landowner provides (if any). For example, the largest piece of land I rent is located about a 10 min drive from the nearest city and is 1/8 acre in size, for which I pay $100 a month. However, the landowner used his tractor to till and prepare the plot for planting. This is irrigated by "free" groundwater. I pay more for plots in the city with municipal water.

• hillbillymick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much folks!

I have a couple places in mind. Both have land ditting idle and water available. I am a little unsure of what to offer to pay?

I want to be fair,, but i know i am going to have to put some money of my own in to either spot. Soil eill definitely take some work

• hillbillymick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, for the duplicate posts.

Thanks, slimey!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Find out what farmers are paying locally, here it anywhere from $100 to $400 per acre. I'm renting out my land for the $100 this year until the farmer figures out how good the ground is. The better the crop he gets this year, will increase my rental income next year. He's renting 4 acres from me. Only thing I did was remove any junk from area (that I could lift, he did the heavier stuff with a loader). Payment UPFRONT for season.

I would also NOT put any long-term type of plants, since you could possibly not have the ground for the next year or so.

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

I have been leasing since 2008. I have increased the area and pay about $200 per year because they never really tell me what to pay. I believe that is the acre price around here. It used to be that every year I would get quite stressed wondering if they would want to sell and I would have to relocate. I was very worried they would not really inform me if they decided this and think one of the other owners (5 siblings in their 60s) would do it. But now I have gotten very comfortable. Just today the one landlord added 2 high flow spigots for me for no reason. It makes me know they want me to stay.
    Still I recommend getting an actual lease in writing and working out the details. At first I think they didn't expect me to continue growing there and marketing the produce but to be comfortable in a real professional market garden you should have a written lease.
    I will say I had looked around a deal before and it is extremely difficult to connect with anyone with land, if they don't know you. I happened to meet the woman who lived on the property and was able to ask all the siblings if I could use some of the land. None of my other inquiries got anywhere with people who didn't know me.
    However, renting definitely has its problems with a pro operation. I would really like to buy! and then set up everything the way I want it to streamline it all. For one thing, the person renting the house has parked his pickup next to my wash station in the shade for the summer. I would like to park there to load and unload produce right next to the wash station. Logistically renting has its problems. I guess another one I should mention is crop storage. I am forever hauling stuff back and forth to bring home to keep cool and back there over and over. So much hauling!!! You have to consider not only the land and water but what you will do with the produce.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus