Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

Hello, Hello, Anybody home?

ole_dawg
16 years ago

Why so dead. To hot to plant right now anyway.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

Comments (12)

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

Too hot to plant in some places but not too hot to harvest, pull weeds, make compost piles and such. We've spent most of the day pounding steel posts for a new greenhouse. I hope it's done by the end of the day tomorrow so that I can start planting in it Monday.

• paulns
    16 years ago

Steaming hot here too. Guided u-pickers into the raspberry patch, propped up blackberry vines, dragged compost and seaweed up a steep slope to a new garden patch, searched the beach for more seaweed (no luck), watered the greenhouse plants, pulled some gone-to-seed swiss chard for the chickens, tied up some straggling tomato vines, complained about the heat.

• digit
    16 years ago

Well, let's see - - the day that you were writing . . . I set up the market booth, hauled two pickup loads of produce down. Disbudded then sprayed Miracle Gro on about 1500 square feet of cutflowers, ran the weedeater around the perimeters of the 2 small gardens, sprayed fish emulsion on the leeks, rototilled the paths in the small veggie garden, took down the market booth, and NEVER got my afternoon nap!

Went to bed early and got up LATE today . . . it was nearly 6AM! I've got garden chores to do but there is a nice, late start and then there's Sunday dinner! It's nearly 10 AM, gotta go . . .

DigitS'

• ole_dawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Robin-Maine,
    I am building a greenhouse also, but only Englishmen and Mad Dogs go out in the noon day sun. LOL
    We have at least two more weeks of super hot weather and then is the time to run Helter Selter.
    1eyedJack and the Dawg

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

>>I am building a greenhouse also, but only Englishmen and Mad Dogs go out in the noon day sun. LOL

True! But it's not nearly as hot here as it is there. Yesterday's high was 85°. That was hot enough to send me back to the house by 1 p.m. We're sinking steel posts for the greenhouse. The glaciers left more than our fair share of rocks but we were lucky. Out of 26 posts only three need to be dug out today, cut and cemented in.

My husband lands in Charlotte at 7 p.m. today. He's not looking forward to the heat we've been reading about.

• ole_dawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Robin_Maine,
    Well it has cooled off to the high 90's here and C is a bit higher than here. What ever heat he suffers will be made up for by our Southern Hospitality. Ride on 20th Maine.
    1eyedJack and the Dawg

• teauteau
    16 years ago

85? 90s? Please! It's been in the 100s for a week or more and I think it has finally cooled down to a balmy 98 today.

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

It's a wonderfully cool 60° today, high of 72°, humidity 90 %, sunny sky. It makes moving compost to the greenhouse easy. When I was out earlier there was a little fog over the pasture.

• lorjacks
    16 years ago

Just got back from 3 days surf up in Cocoa. Boy did we need that. Never leave your poor little defenseless cuttings with a 16 year old to mind. But, miraculously they were ok. Busted our butts for the rest of the vacation. Put up shade house, dug up old bed and plan to make it into a nifty herb garden. And the weeding has been endless. And don't even get me started on the heat! I hope my herbs will be ready for market by Oct. Nov. I'm nervous. It's been so hot here, coupled with too much rain. Some of the plants are suffering.

• ole_dawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have been scorching here at well. Yesterday was the first day it did not go over 105. The greenhouse is going slowly, but going. We have been have a good breeze so that helps and I just wear short and no bra LOL and squirt myself with the hose.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Well I'm afraid the high heat and severe drought have killed my market business for this year. Months without rain have caused the officials to tighten the water restrictions down to two days per week so people are no longer buying anything they have to water (which is everything I sell). No rain in sight either but it has cooled off for now. It's amazing when they call for a cool down and they mean 92 degrees.

So I'm cutting things back and setting them up for winter and hoping for bigger sales next spring.

• ole_dawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Same here, We have been asked to volenteer (SP) to keep the watering down. I grow in containers, but nothing is growing now, period. Damn, I think I hear rain, I hope so.
    1eyedJack and the Dawg

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction