Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boulderbelt

How long is Your Season?

boulderbelt
12 years ago

How far into the fall/winter do you sell?

We usually sell every month of the year. Our FM season winds down in December when we go to a once a month outdoor market (and I miss Feb every year as it is too cold to sell greens, squash and taters without everything freezing up and getting ruined)

Our CSA goes until the end of January and we will do intermittent sales out of the farm store all winter long.

Oh and we may pick up a new market with a natural foods co-op that is opening in the next few months

We have several unheated greenhouses where we grow a lot of greens and roots and leeks all winter plus we do root cellaring of things like onions, winter squash, potatoes, parsnips, carrots and garlic.

Comments (4)

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

Don't know, as this is my first year marketing my produce. But with row covers inside unheated greenhouses, the harvest season typically goes upto mid-November, and planting again begins in mid-March. Not enough sunshine in Dec-Feb to run anything.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

Coming up in September, we have been selling every week of the year for the past year. Prior to this it was just from frost to frost.

With our 6 high tunnels, 2 movable, we will have over 6,000 square feet of growing space over the winter. We will also have winter squash, onions, sweet potatoes and some potatoes. In addition we have jams and jellies and pork.

This year we are planning on selling weekly up to Christmas. Take the week after christmas off, then start selling every other week until late April. The start the twice a week Farmers Markets back up at the end of April though next October.

We will also set up a few winter markets, not sure when. I have been running an online market and I am trying to get more people signed up. Last year I had more produce than I could sell. I hope to try to match production and sales better.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Locally, farmers markets go anywhere from first of May to end of October. One of my markets starts the first weekend of June and ends the middle of September. Another market WAS supposed to end this next week, but they are continuing it thru October. The other 3 markets were from mid-April/early May til October, or when the last vendor stops showing up.

We will have 4 or 5 covered greenhouses, unheated, of various sizes for this next growing season. Only 1 is covered at this moment. We were given 1 1/2 rolls of greenhouse film, we are not sure of how long the rolls are, but 1 is 40' and the other is 24'. We were also given a large shade cloth, that should cover one of the 22x45 houses. All we had to do was to go get it, about 15-20 miles away.

Marla

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Generally we have snow cover by early November. I did an election day market last year and it was uncommonly nice. Winter hit hard shortly after. This spring was very late. I was looking over my calendar and the ice went out on our lake in mid April! We got snow in early May too, but I started planting around 4/20. We had snow cover the first week of April.

Sponsored