Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Planting - What are you doing?

Posted by dan_denise z5b,6a MO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 13:24

Im looking for suggestions on fall planting.

This is our first year of "serious" market gardening (and its gone great!) and now we want to plant for the fall. I know we may be a little late but we have a good 100-120 days before frost.

What have you had success with? What are you putting in?
Thanks!
Dan & Denise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Planting - What are you doing?

Wow, You don't get frost in MO until mid Nov?
We won't start thinking about fall planting for another month.
Then it'll be Broccolli and lettuce. Then in Nov, it'll be garlic.
I can't wait.
Tom

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 13:40

We planted red meat radishes last fall and got a beautiful crop - 2-3" globes. We're planning to try some Spanish black ones as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: red meat radish

o

Paul were your red meat radishes really hot? I ask because I planted some late spring this year and thay were spicy as anything.

Fall plantings will include:
kale, chard, arugula, lettuce, spring mix, maybe peas, brussel sprouts (planted 8 weeks ago), spinach, cukes, zucchini, canteloupes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant (these last 6 will be in a hoophouse), cilantro, garlic, broccoli, radishes.

Basically we plant spring items in the fall plus we are harvesting taters, carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, and winter squashes in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here