Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfamilysfarm

Price of peaches 2013

myfamilysfarm
10 years ago

What are people charging for 1/2 bushel or bushels of peaches this year?

Comments (19)

• henhousefarms
    10 years ago

The largest size we have been selling is 1/2 peck for $7.00 so that would be $28 for 1/2 bu if my math is right. Hope that's helpful.

Tom

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

14.50 a bushel here, another underpriced commodity. We are in an area where you can't buy them unless they are trucked in. I know they were selling in bulk for 12.00 a bushel at the Amish action. I don't know where they get them so cheap.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tom. I can buy them from the orchard for $16, but transportation cost really increases them, since I don't want to buy too many and throw them away.

Rio...The Amish auction is a absolute auction, so whatever people will pay is what the seller gets (minus auction costs). so those 14.50 probably lost money BIG time. Our auction doesn't sell in bushels of peaches, only 1/2 bushels.

I will be 'trucking' them in about 150 miles one way.

I'm thinking $30 for the 1/2 bushel of Red Havens. Might go down to $25, but if I take into consideration the IRS allowable mileage rate, I would be losing a $1-2 per 1/2 box. I'm sure I'll sell some at pound rate, so I would still be OK, just not much profit.

• tomatoesandthings
    10 years ago

I pay $16 for a half bushel and sell them for $4 a quart. These are red havens and john boy. The place I get them from retails a half bushel @ $23.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I priced mine for $1.50 lb (I have the scale and don't sell by qt if possible), Priced 1/2 bushels for $25, but with school's first week, didn't sell as many as I expected.

I'm lucky to have such a good orchard that knows how to pick the perfect peach to last, but still be ripe. I have approximately 4 bushel left and will be going thru each of them daily. I might have left for this weekend, if not, I'll have some really good canned peaches.

I don't buy from a retail location, straight from the orchard as much as possible.

• tomatoesandthings
    10 years ago

I also get mine straight from the orchard. It's a retail and wholesale business 15 minutes away and I work for them 3 days a week.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I misunderstood. I get a lower price than others due to the lifetime of our connection.

If I can ask a question, how long can your place hold peaches and still be good. I really hate to can all these peaches if there is a chance I can hold them and them still be good for next week. I've brought them inside to the A/C and trying to keep around 75. What temp is best to keep without getting too cold.

• henhousefarms
    10 years ago

Colder the better - 40's is OK, 30's is better and 90%+ relative humidity. Get into the 30's and you can keep them for several weeks but the key is to get them cool pretty quickly.

Tom

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tom, there in our bedroom (where the AC unit is), I don't think I want to go that low. With canning going on in the other part of house, humidity is running high. 3 bushel of tomatoes almost done, and 1 1/2 bushel of peaches to work today, tomorrow at latest or throw away.

• tomatoesandthings
    10 years ago

The place I work for can keep them for over a week in a cooler that runs about 38. Normally that doesn't happen because they only wholesale peaches picked the same day. You will also find that certain varieties hold better than others. Don't be afraid of getting them to cold. You will find that they still look great after keeping them for several days in the 30's.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I'll worry too much about keeping many of them from this trip. By bringing them into bedroom and the AC, in 4 days lost about 1/3 which got canned up. Only 1/10 of those were too bad to do anything with. I guess I'll be making lots of peach cobbler, jam, jelly and butter.

• henhousefarms
    10 years ago

I'll bring the icecream.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Orchard was selling early peaches for $10 per half peck bag tonight. I didn't ask about half bushels.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow. $10 per 1/2 peck would be $80 bushel.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Yeah, but it beats the $2/lb the other orchard in town was asking for their really early, small peaches last month. You have to remember I live in the 15th wealthiest town in the 4th wealthiest state in the nation ;-)

I bought a bushel for $50 from another place last year, don't know what they're charging this year.

I told the lady last night I'd buy some next week if my friend didn't have any (unsprayed) ripe today. I'll ask about bushel or half bushel prices next week, but even at $50 I figured it was less expensive to just buy canned (in plastic or glass, don't like the aluminum cans) in the grocery store for DD's lunch. But I do like peach jam.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I need to pick some up and drive to you, lol. I was getting $25 for just less than 1/2 bushel, so $50 wouldn't be too bad. I was getting $1.50.

One vendor came up to us and said she got some 'the other year' for $6 per bushel that she picked. She's expecting to get that deal again this year. I'm sure what she was able to pick wasn't firsts. This year, so far, she has seen what we have from other orchards one week, then she goes and picks and sells the same thing the following week. Just bugs me.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I'm envious that you can sell stuff you don't grow. Most markets around here are "producer-only", though I've seen CSAs buying stuff in - maybe they're under different rules. AFAIK, you can only sell preserves (incl. pickles, if I ever get the other regulations figured out) made from your own produce, and can't wholesale them. CSAs can buy in jams and jellies made in a commercial kitchen with a resale license however.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This year we are buying for what we want to preserve, just buying more than we need. Selling off the extra to pay for our own food. At this point, I think all I have to pay for is all the jars/lids/rings, everything else is paid for. Not trying for a business so much, just living the best we can on $1200 per month.

Marla

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I must be doing something right, out of all the peaches leftover from Saturday's market, picked on Thursday morning, I still have almost 2 bushel that doesn't HAVE TO be worked up. Thank goodness for the nights around 49.

Sponsored