Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Selling Hercules crowder pea seed question?

My local feed and seed wanted me to grow out some Hercules pea seed for them since they get a lot of requests and have no bulk source. They know that I have been saving the seed for many years.

I gave them about 1 lb. to distribute last year when they got requests. That is the reason they asked me to grow out seed for them.

They are hard to find and popular around here with folks that remember them. I understand why, they are easy to grow, pick,and shell. They are my and everyone that has tried them favorite!

Most folks don't like the new and improved version Colossus80. They don't taste as good.

Clemson (South Carolina Crop Improvement Association) has them, $3 for 150 seed.

I stopped in to the feed and seed store today to get some other seed.

I told the manager that I have about 10 lb. now and will have more soon. I asked her what she planned to pay for them.

She said that she didn't remember asking me to grow them out for her. She said she would buy them for $4 a pound after I got a germination test! The germination test is free so no biggy, but $4 A POUND!

I'm thinking about offering them on E-Bay. I am not a certified organic grower but they have been grown using organic practices. No chemical fertilizers and no pesticides.

Can I make the statement "grown using organic practices" on E-Bay?

I'm sure that would bring in more buyers. But I can't prove that fact!

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I wouldn't, I don't take the chance that the Organic Certifiers would catch me and I don't want to pay the huge fee. That's just me.

If she's planning on paying you $4/lb, then she'll retail them at $8. Standard practice on bulk seed. If she buys them, she's taking the chance of them not selling and she'd have forever. You might offer a consignment agreement, that way she won't have to worry about having seed that might not sell.

Get everything in writing, from them asking you to grow the seeds to the final agreement about who keeps the leftover unsold seed.

• PJFarm
    10 years ago

You could state that they were grown using no pesticides and no synthetic fertilizer. It's not as powerful statement as organic but that's why we pay a certifier to inspect our farm. Also, I think you can use "organic" if you sell less than $5k per year and you can prove that you grow organically.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Organic Certification Exemptions

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks myfamilysfarm, and PJFarm,

I might talk to her about consignment.

"If she's planning on paying you $4/lb, then she'll retail them at $8."

No, she will sell them by the ounce, probably $3 per ounce. Depending on who comes in, she may sell all or none. She sells the "new and improved" Colossus crowder peas for $3 per ounce.

She sells a lot of seed to people that have small gardens and only need a few seed.

The old timers used to ask for them all of the time according to the guy that actually weighs and packages the seed. He said that the old timers don't like the Colossus crowder peas.

Most people think that they have became extinct, which they almost did.

I am going to offer them on E-Bay soon with a statement that although they are not certified organic. But they have been grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

How about just posting an ad on the local bulletin board? I'm sure there is one around.

• boulderbelt
    10 years ago

wertach, if you ever do this again get a contract of some sort together and signed by them and also ask for a deposit, non refundable, of at least 25% for what you expect to sell them. That stops that sort "memory loss"

• Don Fowler
    8 years ago

wertach zone 7-B SC I live in South Carolina and my mother has been looking for some Hercules Crowder Peas for years... My email is bmerman39@yahoo.com and if at all possible I would like to purchase at least a pound of your seeds and I'd be willing to pay $15.00 a pound. Or I will pay you $80.00 for the whole 10 pounds plus shipping. Let me know if we could make a deal. Thanx Don Fowler

wertach zone 7-B SC thanked Don Fowler
  • wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Don and RBailey

I had forgotten about this post, I will send each of you an e-mail.

I had good luck selling them on e-bay in small packages of 150 seeds @$2 each. I didn't list them as organic. I don't have any to sell at this time because all I have is my planting stock. I will have more later in the summer.

If anyone is in need of the seed for this years planting Clemson is offering them now @ $3 for 150 seed. I know I am sending you to someone else for something I am trying to sell... but they are so good, and I want to help preserve the strain !

Here is the link: http://www.clemson.edu/public/seed/vegetables.html

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living