Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Getting a tractor tiller

After months/years of watching craigslist and auctions, I finally was able to buy a 3 point tiller. I am picking it up Saturday. I have had several close buys, but the sold them out from under me or they brought too much.

No more having to borrow a trailer, to get my tractor, to drive to a friends Dad's house to pick up the tiller and drive home and do it all in reverse to take it back. While he didn't really care if I used it, I sure got tired of the 1.5 hours it took to get it and return it, and they only lived 6 miles away. I also have used his tiller more in the last 3 years than he did.

I am really excited, time saved and ground worked on my schedule, not if I can get borrow the tiller and trailer.

Jay

Comments (13)

• skatcon
    9 years ago

Happy for you Jay! We are excited also. We broke down and got a very small Kubota with a four foot tiller. It is amazing, not just how much easier it is, but what a good job it does in one pass. My dh is just getting too old to walk behind the walk behind.
    Now we just need to get an understanding of the best ways to use it. We are already planting green manures in any areas we have harvested.
    Kathy

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What model Kubuta? I have a B7100. For me, it is perfect size.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is, It was in great condition, other than it was missing half the PTO shaft. This was not discovered until I asked for it after I paid him and the tiller was on the trailer. Oops, not making that mistake ever again. The guy wouldn't give me any money back and we searched high and low in the garage for it. The tiller was his Dad's who died. He didn't know much about it.

This post was edited by jrslick on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 2:05

Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking back. My tractor didn't have any problems with the tiller, but it sure would bog down some if I had a full tiller of dirt and the tiller was all the way down and digging in. Lift the 3 point and raise it up some and away we go.

This post was edited by jrslick on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 2:09

Original Author
    9 years ago

The tiller doesn't look so big now from the side. I was able to put two halves of PTO shafts together and was able to test it out. Slip clutch PTO comes next week.

This post was edited by jrslick on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 2:14

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

it looks to be in very good condition. risky to run it without a sheer bolt or slip clutch especially if its a bit too big for your tractor.

Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right Randy, but I wanted to get a cover crop planted yesterday before it rains. Chances of rain all week. Well we missed the rain last night and again this morning, but the cover crop is planted.

The spot I tilled has been in production for several years, I felt safe that I wouldn't turn anything up. Also, I just ran it pretty shallow, just to eliminate the germinated weeds.

It is pretty big, 56 inches, but I had been borrowing a 54 inch and I never had much trouble. I think these tines are much better condition and really dug in.

• Mark
    9 years ago

Wow, i'm with randy, be careful. That's almost a 5' tiller on a 16 hp tractor. From what I understand, oversizing on the PTO can cause major damage to your tranny with or w/out a slip clutch. I'm super excited for you're purchase Jay, but for your tractors sake you might want to talk to a tractor mechanic about the match.
    BTW, that soil looks really nice, and I swear i'm not trying to rain on the parade!
    -Mark

Original Author
    9 years ago

I know what you mean Mark, and thank you for the concern. The manufacturer recommended HP for this tiller is 15-35 HP.

Jay

Original Author
    9 years ago

Agree or disagree, it would be easier on the tractor if I took off one set of times on the tiller? I understand the hp concerns, now it is starting to bug me.

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

i have a ford 1710 tractor which has about 25-26 pto hp and i pull a 4' tiller. the next size up which is usually 5' is rated for 35+ pto hp.
    i think if you are tilling previously and somewhat recently tilled ground you should be fine like it is.

• skatcon
    9 years ago

Hey Jay
    We have a BX2350. Four foot tiller. Perfect for our small garden. We have eight foot tall deer fencing around the two acres so maneuverability is important. DH just bought a front end loader for it also. Should really help with carrying heavy stuff like feed and fertilizer.
    We used the tiller on the spring brocolli. In one pass it chopped up the green material and incorporated it. A week later he went over it again to loosen the soil and we planted a green manure(rape and oilseed radish) It is six inches tall already. First year we have been able to plant green manures as quickly as we emptied a bed. Feels great.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Skatcon: Congrats. I agree with your statement on being able to replanting a cover crop, quickly after emptying a bed. Or just tilling under when doing a fallow bed system. I have been really wanting a tiller since I bought my tractor, but my wife keeps telling me no (even though it is a "Farm" purchase). I have already done some things that I couldn't have done with just a walk behind and only in a fraction of the time.

Got my new PTO and slip clutch, now need to cut the shaft and adjust the slipclutch and I will be ready to till.

First gotta go mow.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living