Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Good ideas from this year to share....

Well this year has proved to be a challenging one, is there ever one that isn't? Well I thought I would share some things that we had success with that were new to us.

Selling mini/small heads of lettuce:
We grew all the different varieties of Summer Crisp/Batvaria lettuce plus Claremont, Breen and Jericho Romaine. We had multiple plantings and lots of Success. We transplanted these into white plastic mulch. When it got really hot, we had misters to keep things cool. We were able to sell them from early May until late July. We were going to pick up production in early September, but I got too busy to get them planted, so we will plan for mid October-January or later.

Multiple plantings of tomatoes:
Tomatoes have always been a big seller for us, but I decided to plant 4/5 plantings instead of 2 to keep my size up and quality coming. It is really paying off. We have matched our production with sales and customers are happy.

Hi-Yield grass killer on Carrots:
While I prefer to keep things all natural, we had entirely too much rain after our little carrots came up. Even though I flame weeded, the grass grew too fast. I had the choice of tilling it under or spraying it. Since we had a decent stand, I reluctantly chose to spray. Also with the summer heat back, I didn't want to fight to get a good stand again. It has killed the grass and I am left with weeding the bindweed and pigweed. Not too bad.

Mulch Layer and White Plastic mulch:
Built the layer, love it. Plastic mulch has saved many of my crops this year from floods and weeds!

Tractor:
Bought my first small tractor and honestly I would have given up many things this year if I had to do it by hand. The tractor has given me the energy to try new things. Instead of tilling with the walk behind, I can sit and get a sore neck, not back. I was also able to dig our poor potato crop with a tractor, not potato fork. Made it more enjoyable.

Cutting out the low selling stuff:
We cut out lots of the low selling stuff and stuck with the general high selling stuff, tomatoes, peppers, cucs, zucs, potatoes, onions, carrots, lettuce, melons, winter squash, cherry tomatoes, Okra, sweet potatoes, and radishs and turnips. Our sales are up and I am not wasting time picking stuff that doesn't sell.

How about you, any good ideas?

Jay

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert