Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hoes

Posted by brookw (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 18:27

After an unbelievable year for weeds, I am looking to experiment with some new hoes. I remember some of you commenting on Rogue hoes and some of the different styles of hoes. I would really appreciate some suggestions or evaluations.

Thanks,

Brook

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hoes

Brook,

I will never own another hoe, unless it is a Prohoe aka Rogue Hoes. They are made by a small company about 1.5 hours away from my house. They are made out of used disc blades they are STRONG! The handles are strong and the blades are epoxyed in. I have used mine hard this year and they are as good as the day I bought them.

I really like the Scuffle Hoe with the "D" handle. It was really easy to weed lots of rows of plants with minimal effort.

I also bought a heavy duty hoe, and a short hand hoe and scuffle hoe with 12 inch handles.

They are well worth the money

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: ProHoe

o

I am a fan of earth tools and really like their hoes. the handles are 6 feet long and allow one to use the tool in an egronomic fashion as shown by in the elliot colman books and it makes a big difference.
I made my first purchase in asheville an , nc at the organic growers school they were a vendor their and one of their staff took time to teach me how to hold and use the hoe. it reall makes a differende
all of their handle tools are of the up most quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: hoes

o

Thanks, guys, I like the idea of those scuffle hoes. I currently own three cheap hoes for when I get help but really like only my ancient one. Frankly, I'm almost at the point of just mowing down. I managed somewhat between the rows, but the amount of weeds within was unbelievable this year. I have spent the majority of the summer on my hands and knees trying to save what didn't drown. I have some interesting callouses from it. 110 with heat index today. Picked the first flush of spaghetti squashes today and some pumpkins are starting to color up, so fall is getting closer.

Brook

o

Brook, we mowed our gardens down and baled the weeds for the cows this winter. They look so much better. Now we need to see if we can find any potatoes under the ground. Hopefully the dirt will be softer than concrete.

o

Brook, you can get Rogue hoes at the Great Lakes Veg Expo in Grand Rapids the beginning of December.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here