Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High garlic prices??

Posted by fancifowl 5Pa (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 20:23

I am wondering whats up with garlic this season?? How are the prices around the country? I am experiencein very high prices at the wholesale auctions, 2 weeks ago I was getting $36 per peck,thats $180 per bushel. this past tuesday I received $45 per peck; I am taking a bunch more tomorrow and hope the prices are at least as good as tuesday. I wonder what is driving the prices, no california or Chuinese on the market yet?? I must say i am presenting some very nice garlics but even the cull types are fetching 3-4 bucks per quart, tiny ugly stuff, some not at all well presebnted or even cleaned with the stalks still on them are doing ok too..

I still only charge $1.00 per for the larger garlics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High garlic prices??

at the charlotte nc farmers market a man is selling his on the stalk but clean big german garlic nice bunches for a dollar each and they are very nice and he is very busy

o
RE: High garlic prices??

I get $1 per corm for medium and $3.50 for the huge corms we use for seed. The vast majority of our larger corms we keep for our seed stock and do not sell at all. The small sizes I keep for garlic powder.

Our garlic sales are very good this year as our garlic is so much better than the Chinese stuff all the grocery stores carry. people only complain about the price until they try it than they cannot get enough.

I did not realize wholesale garlic was so high. I may have to up my price a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here