Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamman_gw

Polyface Farms farming techniques.

HamMan
11 years ago

I am just wondering what do ya'll guys think about Polyface Farms. I am also wondering if anybody else here uses sustainable agriculture techniques. This is my first post and I currently work at a market garden.

Comments (10)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

We do, at least part way. We have cows, and clean the barn out to put on fields each fall/winter before planting. Of course, we don't put early lettuce into that area. I can definitely see the difference in the gardens after doing that, but you see the best difference the next year, after the barn stuff breaks down for an entire year.

If you read about marketing gardening, it's really just growing more than you would eat and you're growing the 'old-fashioned' way, like your great-grandparents did. That's what Joel promotes. I've read several of his books and own some.

Marla

• HamMan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the reply Marla.

John

• magz88
    11 years ago

I really respect what Joel has done. I think any new agricultural endeavour should be started with sustainability in mind.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Some of the old ways are just better. I'm lucky that I'm the age that I am AND I was always gardening with my mother and grandparents. Now I'm teaching my kids and grandkids what I was taught. Lots of what Joel is doing is just what we 'oldies' grew up with. Bringing back the idea of respecting our ground and taking care of it.

• HamMan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm only 15 but my grandpa and my daddy taught me how to garden naturally and I think that Joel has done a very good job with preserving the land. I read on their website that it used to be the poorest farm in that area. He has brought it back using sustainable agriculture techniques. I admire him for that.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

At 15, you just older than my grandkids. Learn everything that your parents and grandparents can teach, especially if they 'of the area'. They will have a world of knowledge, that isn't written. After awhile, things can just become 'natural' to do certain things in certain ways.

Back in the day, his sustainable agriculture techniques were just good farming. New terms for same stuff.

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

my farm is produce with occasional chickens on pasture. We used to be certified organic but dropped the certification but continued to farm sustainably.

We are big into soil building and because our soils are getting healthy and have a growing % of organic matter were have not been badly impacted by the drought as our conventional neighbors have been. As a matter of fact, we have the best eggplant, tomato and pepper crops in years.

Our spring crops were badly impacted by heat and were not good but once the heat loving crops were in the ground we were off to the races.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

After farming the way we have, we done a soil test on my 'gardens' and 2 other fields, all in same area. Our OM (organic matter) was 2x what the other fields were, and the soil agent stated something like 'there was almost too much'. I laughed since I didn't think it was enough. that the difference between someone with corn/bean mentality and veggie grower.

• dirtdigging101
    11 years ago

I have studied 3 different systems and have used two of them. I have several of Joel's books and have visited his operation [4 hr drive] and have attended a few conferencs where he spoke. He uses a huge amount of carbon and his system is on a big scale. It is not for everyone and the chickens do not get enough exercise for my taste.

John Jeavons, is the most sustainable system with no animals or animal inputs. I spent 500 dollars for his 3 day workshop and was worth 3x that. There is value to compost is what i learned. and his system works with great results. if science cand show him a better way he will go in that direction.

Harvey Ussery is all about chickens and when i saw his vegetable garden and chickens and cover crops i had to try it. and i sold my troybilt tiller his books are pricy but well worth the money and he helps everyone.

a lot of what u do depends on what u got i have little landand like harvey hate hard work. so my system is a blend of jeavons and ussery.

i leave the big animals to the big guys

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I'll have to look into those people. Thanks for the referral. I don't do much on the big animal stage, but our kids have some cows and we're happy to feed them the imperfects to get manure.

Sponsored