Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reinbeaux

Gearing up for next year

reinbeaux
19 years ago

90% done with transplanting all my mother stock, taking cuttings, and dividing / moving up plants to larger sizes / seeding / transplanting ssedlings, etc. Next year should be a very good year. I've got a few new (to me) sooper cool "gotta have its" for my customers although not one (yet) that will make customers go "WOW" and attract new customers- unless my passion vines cooperate and bloom during the market. What I need is a really cool sooper dooper attention getter (plant) that will make people stop and ask questions about it and bring them into my booth. Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• watergal
    19 years ago

I don't know what other type of plants you are selling, but when I did a couple of booths, the abutilons drew them in every time. Didn't sell many though - people here don't want to bother overwintering tropicals. Tropical hibiscus make nice "eye candy" too.

• reinbeaux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I sell mostly herb plants, small fruits, berry (plants) - also have some tropicals (mostly edible) / unusuals --- edible landscape / medicianl plants is what I grow most - and several passion flower varieties (up to 20 varieties now! --- hardy and tropical)

You know what cures seasonal affective disorder? Growing tomatoes in december!!! That and having a greenhouse to work in on those bright winter days when it's too cold to go outside (I also have an "indoor greenhouse" upstairs - and since moving, no greenhouse - temporarily)

• Dibbit
    19 years ago

'don't know if it is what you want, but everyone who sees the pots of the "new" sun-loving coleuses that I have is VERY impressed. You might need to push several to be pretty large at the market time, and keep them for advertising. They don't make much impact as the typical 6-pack or even in a 4 in. pot, unless very bushy and big, but if you could have some in the larger pots...? They are a perfect substitute for flowering plants for those who want a plant they only have to water and feed now and again, and they are spectacular from a distance as they get over 12-18 in. In fact, a friend who has a large mixed-coleus pot on her porch frequently gets asked what the plant is that is flowering for so long.
    The New Guinea Impatiens are another option, esp. in the brighter, darker colors. There's a bronze-leaved one that flowers in a vibrant orange!!!

• misterg
    19 years ago

Delphinium Butterfly Blue (dwarf) will do it - but only in June when in bloom - I placed the cut flowers on the table and the teeney plants were sold!!! But you need a mature one in your garden to demo the flowers.

• reinbeaux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've taken some of my herb plants before (marsh mallow, agrimony while both were in bloom, etc.) - my mother plants (all of my mother plants are in containers) - it did help sell some but everyone wanted to by my mother plants --- I did move a bunch of the 4" up to gallons this fall for next year so they should easily sell when in bloom (I moved a few to 2 gallon as well)

The price of organic soil, most people don't want to pay the little extra for the 2 gallons that I have to charge versus the conventional growers (yet they want the organic) I pay 150% more for organic soil versus the regular potting soil. I should get organic certified so I can call my plants 'organic' - although having no employees and creating more paperwork (plus the cost for certification) is something I do not relish - hard to keep up with what needs to be done as it is. Most of my market customers don't seem to care about my being certified - they know I grow according to the organic standards --- although it would definitely help sell at a little higher cost to my nursery customers if I were "officially organic" so they can call the plants organic. This next year I will seriously look into it.

• watergal
    19 years ago

reinbeaux,

Tell me more about your indoor greenhouse! I have a bunch of shop lights and a 400W HID light in a spare bedroom for my "indoor greenhouse". I would love to have an outdoor greenhouse, but can't afford to heat one enough here to grow and bloom the tropicals that I love.

• kevinw1
    19 years ago

Reinbeaux, check out "Certified Naturally Grown" as an alternative to Certified Organic.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: CNG