Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gponder

Garlic Chive Flowers

gponder
18 years ago

Has anyone heard of "garlic chive flowers"? A customer of mine just returned from a vacation at Martha's Vineyard and was raving about these that she found at their local farmers market. They seem similar to scapes but she says the stalk is firm and it has flowered. They apparantly lend themselves quite nicely to sauteeing and stirfrying giving off a very subtle garlic flavor. I've never heard of them. Maybe just a creative grower trying to market something that has gone to seed????

Glenda

Comments (9)

• anniew
    18 years ago

I grow garlic chives for the flowers to add to bouquets. I have, in the past, even sold them to local florists.
    The flowers are white and more open than a regular chives flower which is kinda in a ball. These flowers have a star like shape to each individual one in the head.
    I have not tried them in recipes, however.
    Ann

• Jasmine_MN
    18 years ago

Garlic Chive Flowers are eaten by asians. They are expensive in the asian market. However, they are pick before the flowers open and when they are still tender. You can use them in stirfry with meat and/or seafood.

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Garlic chive foliage is slightly broader, flatter than the common chives. It is good to use for cooking as well as the flowers, as mentioned. Generally quite hardy and will reseed as well. Attractive tho maybe a better seller in some markets than others.

• skagit_goat_man_
    18 years ago

Richters, I think in Ontario, sells a variety of chives they have developed specifically for its flowers. I think when I last looked they sold flats of starts, not seed. tom

• jumpinjuniper
    18 years ago

I grow and sell garlic chives. The flowers, just before opening, are absolutely delicious. Use just as garlic. They're even great eaten fresh.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

My first time in this forum and I stumbled on this post.

This was my first year that I grew enough garlic chives that they were able to flower (normally I would cut some every day). I heard about using garlic flower buds in cooking and tried it. Great stuff!! If I didn't have a way to grow them I would certainly purchase them.

• Rindawan
    18 years ago

In Thailand, we like to stir-fry garlic chive flowers ( when flowers still not open ) with pork liver, garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. It is one of my favorite dish.

For garlic chive leaves, we like to put in Pad Thai ( Thai-style stir-fried rice noodle - a Top 10 Thai dishes best known by foreigners ). It is a main smell of Pad Thai. We cut its leaves into about 2 inches lengths and put to stir-fry with noodle at last.

• bojabi
    18 years ago

I planted chives last year and realized afterward that they were garlic chives (not labeled well) and found out they are invasive. Can anyone tell me the best way to rid my garden of this plant? If I round it up is that enough? I noticed the tiny roots when trying to dig it up. Am I stuck with this for good? (Help!)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

They are only invasive if you let them go to seed. They seed prolifically. Cut the flowers after the bloom is over and you'll be fine.

Sponsored