Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spreader

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 1:40

At a consignment auction this week, in my town, there is a 4foot by 5 foot PTO powered manure spreader. I am very interested, but I have no idea as to how much it may or may not bring. It is all steel and in good condition. I turned the gearbox and all the bearings and pulleys are in working order. I am just afraid some (more wealthy than me) horse person will see this and I will be out a useful tool.

photo image_zps2fb5190e.jpg

photo image_zps35344712.jpg

I am interested in it because I would like to use it to spread compost and other amendments on our fields instead of doing the bucket brigade or by the scoop shovel full! It fits directly behind my little Kubota tractor and the PTO and drawbar all measure out nice.

I also thought, that I could use this to spread out composted manure, leaves, chopped straw for mulch or even grass clippings. I have always, since I bought my tractor, looked for a ground driven one, but a PTO powered one would be much nicer! I could even use it to make and mix compost piles.

I could apply compost to my garlic by filling the spreader and straddle the beds and go.

I always say the best time to buy something rare or unusual is when you see it. I have never seen a used one like this before in my area. Looking online, I have found new ones that are way out of my price range and not even an option in a million years. I am thinking maybe $500-600 would buy it.

Any ideas on price or if something like this would even work for these jobs? I know my back would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spreader

you could check ebay for comparatives. it can also be used for lime spreading.

o

I didn't think about checking ebay, they had some but not as small as this one. The prices were a little higher than I would like to pay.

We don't lime or soil, we already have too high of pH (too basic). We do add sulfur to help lower the pH though.

Jay

o

Jay we bought a new holland that is 5 foot across the back by 16 feet long will hold about 4 ton, pot driven. On a private sale I paid 900.00 for it. The only hitch I see with getting a good deal on a little one like that is that it is small. Ours was cheap cause it was bigger than most people want and too small for a big farm.
You will love the pot option. I make piles with mine just back into about where I want it and run about 1/3 throttle. When running full throttle it will throw chunks 50 yards lol.

o

Rio, 'pot' driven? I'm sure you meant pto. I got a big kick out of it, tho.

The smaller ones seems to cost more, because more people are doing the 'estate'/gardening thing and the regular sized/bigger ones are just too big.

o

Jay,
Are you sure that size will work for you? 4x5 seems pretty small.
If it will, I think your price range is right on. I see lots in the 4x10 range around here go for 400-800, but usually they are ground driven. The PTO driven ones are much more versatile and usually sell for much more.
Good luck,
Mark

o

Lol yep PTO
Pot driven might get expensive quick!

o

Mark: Yes it is very small, but it would be sized right for the little Kubota 7100 I have. I have seen the larger ones too, but most are ground driven. Also since most of my stuff is very close together I never really have much room to turn around. I really like the PTO, I have never seen one at this size with a PTO, most are all ground driven.

POT driven, I got a laugh out of that one too!

Thanks for the help, I guess we will find out on Friday.

Jay

o

Well did you get it?

o

Yeah! What happened?

o

No I didn't get it. Not even sure what it brought. I talked to the Auctioneer to leave a bid for it, a max bid and when I told him my number, he said he already had another bid for someone else that was higher than that. So I just said forget about it. I was at the max I was willing to pay and what I had available. Good thing I didn't get it as we had several bills come in, that we thought were paid off, but weren't and my money had to go towards that.

I am bummed about it, my wife said don't worry another one will come around. She didn't like my answer.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here