Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

Pumpkins and prices

sandy0225
16 years ago

What do you all think? are pumpkins going to

I like the fact that the news already said they were going to be and higher priced...because I already have some to sell...and people expect them to be higher. Since I bought mine right, I'm not selling them any higher than last year, and the customers are happy. But what has been your experience so far?

Comments (5)

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    16 years ago

Are pumpkins going to be what? In short supply because of the drought? Since you bought yours right, we can assume you are a reseller. Don't resellers just double the price? My experience has been the customer can usually spot the resellers at market. If you're not growing the pumpkins, but grow everything else you offer for sale, does your market consider this "carrying?"

Erin

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

I wondered what too. What you charge should depend on your own number crunching. You need to know what you have to sell the pumpkins for to earn the income you want.

Frost hit my field Thursday morning. It's early but it's nice to look out over the field and see red, orange, tan and white pumpkins in various shapes and sizes.

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess I forgot to finish the sentence. Sorry!
    I meant do you think they are going to be higher, or harder to find?
    Sorry to make you all mad, but EVERYONE at our local market resells. I only know one person who doesn't, and I saw her at the auction last week, so I don't think she's far behind.
    I was one of the last ones to start reselling, because I just started this summer. And the only thing I've bought was pumpkins and Watermelons and Indian Corn, the things I don't have room to grow out myself.
    I grow all of my other veggies, and I actually grow my own plants from seed in my own greenhouse, to grow my veggies from, but with only 1 acre, a house, garage, and three small greenhouses, we don't have room to grow pumpkins.

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

I sell pumpkins. A farm 50 miles in one direction and another 40 miles in the opposite direction sell them. Other than that I don't know of anyone for 100 miles one way and none the other. It's getting more and more important to produce and sell food as people become more knowledgeable about the importance of knowing where you food comes from, who grew it and how it was grown. I took this year off from vegetables to make business and farm changes. Next year the only pumpkins I grow will be for myself. The fields are going back to food production. I do think they'll be harder to find in time.

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

I can add price now that pumpkins are selling well. I charge .50¢ a pound.