Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tearing out plants in High Tunnels

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 9:41

Well I have made my decision. I am tearing out my cherry tomatoes and half of my big tomatoes in my high tunnels. I am going to be replanting them ASAP with cold hardy plants and greens that we will harvest well into November and beyond. I have started bunches of plants in the basement and I am planning on getting them out in 2-3 weeks.

I hope I am making the correct decision, but the way I am looking at it. I have lots of blooms and a few tomatoes setting on, but it will be late October before they are ready, if they are ready. The lettuce, spinach, radishes, Haikuri Turnips, and other greens WILL be ready to sell by then. I just wish there was an easier way to decide!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tearing out plants in High Tunnels

i made the same decision and am not looking back, at least for the hoophouse i had regular tomatoes in. i'm prepping the hoophouse to handle colder weather better. its still too early here to plant spinach and lettuce inside though. i have some lettuce and boc choy starts to plant outside still and will also direct seed some other things. if it gets too cold i can row cover them.
my other hoophouse has the cherry tomato plants in it and they are still producing. i better go pick them before i have to leave for the market today.

o
RE: Tearing out plants in High Tunnels

Well I went ahead and ripped out half the tomatoes in one tunnel. I went through and picked every almost ripe and every green one and came up with about 10 pounds. Now I know it is the right decision. It was the east two rows in a north-south building.

Ripped them out at 3:00 pm and by 10 pm the building was replanted and drip irrigation turned back on. I have decided to rip out the other side in two weeks and plant all the greens that I will have ready to transplant.
I planted radishes, beets, beets for beet greens, swiss chard, spinach, Haikuri turnips, and 7 left over broccoli plants.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here