Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs to Restaurants - newbie

Posted by Lyrical Z5 Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 10:12

Hello - I've been growing herbs for myself and friends for years. I'd like to sell to restaurants.

Is year-round production important? We have some space that could do inside, and we've been thinking about building flats or a greenhouse outside. DH is very handy!

I was thinking of marketing by delivering a brochure with a little bag of herbs attached, possibly backing it up with a website if I get ambitious.

I would like to produce several varieties that might not be easily available otherwise. We have a lot of restaurants in the area.

Are there any experienced restaurant herb sellers who've tried similar plans and learned something in the process? Many thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs to Restaurants - newbie

I think it's a great idea. It's something I'd enjoy doing. Are you familiar with Eliot Coleman? He grows vegetables year round for restaurants. I'm sure it could be applied to herbs. I'll include a link below.

http://fourseasonfarm.com/main/articles/articles/mother2.html Another article I'm sure you can gather info from.

Year round will depend on what you work out with the restaurant(s). I wouldn't hesitate to talk with them about spring to fall crops. Find out what the prospective buyers want and see what you can do. If you find it works for you and them and that you enjoy doing this you can add to your operation later. We're adding a tunnel in the spring. This winter I'll be growing in cold frames in our greenhouse. Smaller steps at a time is usually a lot safer than diving in head first. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Harvest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here