Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinw1

Popcrn at our FM Fall Fair

kevinw1
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a regular small veggie vendor at our local market and I've been asked to run a popcorn machine for the Fall fair this coming weekend. It's a rented machine, and we're buying organic popcorn/oil/etc an advertising it as No GMO's (a big issue here, we were the first GMO-free zone in Canada).

My question is, what to price it at? I had the machine yesterday for a trial run and was selling small bags (4" x 2.5" x 8" 80 cubic inches) for CN$1 and large bags (5 x 3.5 x 11, 192.5 cubic inches) for $2. The amount of money I took in was about 3x the cost of materials selling at those prices, which I am pretty sure is low for popcorn, even organic popcorn.

So, when you buy popcorn from a stand, what do you pay for it?

Kevin

Powell River, BC

Comment (1)

• headopin
    18 years ago

It's probably too late for your fair, but we recently used a commercial popcorn popper we bought used for US$150 and sold the small bags you mentioned with organic popcorn, butter and sea salt at a school fair for $2 a bag, and no one balked. The thing is, it IS organic, and it smells so good. If you should do it again, advertise the organic part-- where else can one find that commercially? Popcorn is always makes a good profit (especially if you don't have to factor in the cost of electricity to run the machine!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living