Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

It's almost October, what are you still selling?

It's October and the days are getting shorter. What are you still selling or are you going to be selling.

I still have tomatoes, cherry tomatoes(last week for both tore them out to make space for winter harvest crops), bell peppers, okra, Haikuri turnips, Carrots, Radishes, Bok Choy, Hot Peppers, Green Beans, and Lemon Cucumbers. I will be selling Arugula, Tatsoi, Swiss Chard, Broccoli, Cauliflower, spinach, Lettuce, Kale, Napa Cabbage, Beets, and Green Onions, through our online market some are almost ready, some will be awhil.

Of course I still have my 17 varieties of jams and jellies to sell. These fill out my tables very nicely. There are lots of colors.

I lost my winter squash. I don't grow pumpkins. There are 3 pumpkin farms within 30 minutes of my house. They flood the market and a pumpkin is worthless after October 31st in our neck of the woods.

Our markets go until October 30th. However, I am extending my season with my online market on locallygrown.net. I have 20 people who will place weekly orders. I will keep this going until the first few weeks of December, I hope. All these cold tolerant crops are being grown in my high tunnels or under low tunnels outside.

What about you?

Comments (10)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I have had tomatoes, pumpkins, winter squash, gourds, and apples. Not much, but it's something to keep us going until the end of October 30st.

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

We had somewhat of a pumpkin shortage in our area. I'm the only one with them, so they're moving nicely. Sold 35 last night along with 80 lbs winter squash. Also selling a lot of gourds. Tomatoes and cherry tomatoes are also hot. My cherry toms are blooming like mad. I've already sold out of sweet potatoes. Tonight I'll harvest radishes, peppers, hot peppers, eggplant, green onions, broccoli, kale, kohlrabi, turnips, beets, and really good late green beans. Stink bugs wiped out other late crops.

Brook

• alan-in-calhoun-il
    13 years ago

I am down to just apples for the next 5 Saturdays I do miss having tomatoes mine are just gone. I had some good intentions to plant more for fall and didnt get it done. lots of farmers have started to drop out of my market and if you have a variety of things you could sell them. The guy across from me is one of the biggest vendors in our market and he had a great week last week. He had 10 kinds of peppers eggplant squash indain corn pumpkins gourds tomatoes cucumber zinias and more

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had a pretty good night last night too. The weather was almost perfect, sunny, 82 at market start and just a nice gentle breeze to almost calm. However, the customers just didn't come out. That usually happens this time of year. I sold out of the remaining tomatoes that I had and sold alot of other root vegetables and peppers.

Jay

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

garlic, sweet potatoes, radishes, potatoes, celeriac, parsley, arugula, Asian greens, spring mix, green beans, parsnips, turnips, chard, kale, sweet peppers, hot peppers, scallions, onions, leeks, apples, pears, several kinds of winter squash, tomatoes, eggplant, strawberries.

My main market runs up to thanksgiving as a weekly market than switches to once a month. I also do a winter CSA. It's a very small CSA this year because it was such a crappy growing year so we don't have a lot of storage crops and the typical fall crops are only alive because of many hours daily of hand watering plus drip irrigation.

Often our best sales times are between September and Thanksgiving

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

We got frosted last night, so much of the plant vegetation is dead or looks really bad. Frost is about a week early this year.

• eric_wa
    13 years ago

Hey guys,

Have not posted here for quite a few months. Still reconize some of your faces. :-)

Selling at the market. Duck eggs, swiss chard, collards, kale, asian greens, bags of salad mix, radishes, tomatoes, summer and winter squash, pie pumpkins, tomatillos, celery, potatoes, and also fall vegetable seedlings.

Our market runs through the end of this month, then moves indoors, at the High School. 2 weekends a month Nov.- Dec. Then 1 weekend a month Jan.- March. Hopefully at our new location the first of April 2011.
    {{gwi:1045845}}

Eric

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to see you came back Eric, how was your growing season this year?

Jay

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

1st week of October

• eric_wa
    13 years ago

Jay,

Thank you. It was a pretty good year. Sold more produce this year and less vegetable starts. With almost two years under my belt, in the Farmer Market circuit, I've learned quite a bit. What to grow more of and not to waste space with. Also teaching your customer how to use certain produce.

I just purchased 500ft of Agribon row cover. I'm ready for frost and earlier plantings next spring.

{{gwi:1045847}}

Eric

Sponsored