Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting a High Tunnel

Posted by boulderbelt 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 11:12

Our USDA NRCS High Tunnel will be delivered today, just in time for winter planting.

This will be a big change from the home made jobs we have been using the past 15+ years.

It will be 96' long and 26' feet wide with a gothic peak. Got it from Nolt's produce supply

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting a High Tunnel

Congrats! you will be very happy. Building our tunnels have been the best decision I have ever made. I wish I could have all of them metal framed, but I am working on that.

Happy Construction!

Jay

o

that sounds great. good luck with the build. takes a while but well worth it.

o

Congrats for the high tunnel and especially with the gothic arch one, they work much better in our climate.

o

Did you pay extra for that size? I would like a movable 50 foot long one. I wonder how much would be paid for.

o

96' x 26' runs between $4500 and $5500 for a high tunnel. We have been using 50' long homemade, moveable hoophouses for 15+ years. Those cost around $800 including plastic we use 3/4" emt conduit for our houses. This thing will much stringer but not very moveable as it looks like it will take several people several days to get it built.

Oh and bummer, only half of the kit came yesterday. Still need the arches and other metal. Oh and the instructions too.

o

When I say moveable I mean the kind with castors that you pull with a tractor. So did you pay above what they cover? I don't know how much they pay.

o

No we don't do that kind of moveable house as we don't have a tractor nor have we ever been interested in that sort of structure when we have a completely different style of moveable (and storable when the houses are not up) hoophouse that we have been using 16 or 17 years now that my husband designed.

We pay 10% and they pay 90%. Hopefully the $#^*(&^ GOP will not shut down the gov't this because if they do we may well be stuck with a $7500 bill (albeit temporary) as there may not be anyone to wire it to our account

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here