Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan_in_calhoun_il

met a guy with a cool way to keep tomatoes standing

alan-in-calhoun-il
12 years ago

I met a fellow market gardner last night he has 300 or so tomatoe plants out this year. he used cattle panels about six inches apart with the plant between them. he used electric frnce posts to hold the panels up and a piece of wood with holes drilled in it that slipped over the top of the post. it looked easy and he was very happy with it. the plants grew through the panels and he had an easy time picking. the only draw back I saw was the cost of the panels @ $20 each. he had the plants about 18 inches apart in the row. so if each row was 150 feet that would be 20 panels with 10 on each side for 100 plants. the panels last forever so they are a one time cost. He also had an arch made of about 15 panels for a length of about 60 feet that he grew pole beans on one side and cucumbers on the other. he told me that this coming spring(2012) he was going to cover the arch with plastic to get the cucumbers off to an earlier start. He sells in three small markets one on Wednesday, one on Thursday, one on Friday. he skips his Saturday markets because he is sold out by then. Wow what an outstanding man to meet. I certainly want to try the arch and at least a small section of the fence as my Flordia weave collasped this year and was a disaster. on a side note the peach season is over and my tomatoes are done so I am down to apples. I wish I had planted some fall crops but the dry weather, heat and lack of irrgation stoped me.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals