Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanding from Farm Market to Small Garden Centre

Posted by jumpinjuniper 6A NS CA (robhines@mac.com) on
Sun, Sep 12, 04 at 13:09

Hello,

Every Saturday my partner and I drive into town to sell at the Farm Market. We have a small nursery in our back yard with raised beds, it is very simple but effective. All our plants are perennials and grown outdoors to be in sync with our climate. We love the Farm Market and wish to continute participating each week. Its not only an opportunity to make money but to socialize, get our groceries, and share in our plant obsessions with customers and gardeners.

However, we have more perennials from propogation than we can sell at the farm market. I'd like to expand the business we have and sell plants on our cart not only at the farm market but at another place. The site here in our back yard is beautiful and a perfect place to retail plants but it is our home and we do not want to loose our privacy and have people showing up here at all hours of the day and night. In looking for another site I don't want to buy land either. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to expand our garden cart business? I'd like to sell in another location just a few more days a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanding from Farm Market to Small Garden Centre

Are there other nearby markets close to you? During spring - fall in the Seattle area, there are markets 6 days of the week somewhere (Every day except Monday) Many vendors sell at more than one market a week. Last year I sold at three (with no help - I also did all the propagating) and I know some vendors who sell at five or more (with help and / or morning and an evening market)

Can you sell wholesale to local nurseries? I also have eight nurseries I sell wholesale to (adding five more next year and decreasing market to one per week)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here