Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimy_okra

I just lost one third of my fall crop

Slimy_Okra
11 years ago

I can handle bad weather, pests and diseases. But I cannot handle human stupidity. It just makes me angry.

My market garden is based on the SPIN model - I rent urban backyards from homeowners. I just learned an important lesson: have everything in writing and know the person you are renting from.

One of my plots, which is entirely devoted to fall crops, backs up against a fence. On the other side of the fence is a dirt road. Apparently, the homeowner was out spraying the few weeds that were growing along the road with Roundup, on a windy day. The drift through the fence killed nearly all my tatsoi and spinach, and some of the beets and kale. The irony is that this man is a grain farmer - you'd expect him to know better.

It's far too late in zone 2 to reseed anything, except maybe microgreens. My other plots had been staggered such that I would have greens for the market through to early November. That's not possible anymore :(. It's challenging enough trying to be a market gardener in zone 2 without having to deal with issues like this.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living