Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hengal_gw

For those of you that sell from your farm (or home)

hengal
18 years ago

Prior to selling, did you make any changes/do anything/add anything to your landscape or yard to spruce it up and/or attract more customers? I guess what I'm asking is did any of you make any changes to make it more asthetically pleasing to draw in more customers? :)

Comments (6)

• heidi41
    18 years ago

The only thing that I really try to do is keep the look clean and simple. I find that if the area is to fancy landscaped, than possibly it draws the eye away from the actual farm stand. The small building and the outside sales area have all the color. That way when people drive by, their eye is drawn to that. I also find that I decorate for all the holidays more because of the farm stand. People do notice the decor and are more likely to stop if it is eye appealing. good luck on your farm stand. HEIDI

• Bob_Piper
    18 years ago

I think Heidi's philosophy makes a lot of sense. I have not sold from the farm but am toying with the idea of doing so for a couple of years now as there is more and more traffic down our county road.
    Since I sell herb plants in pots and cut flowers I want to have some "display" planting beds for the herbs as people are always wanting to see how they will look as mature plants. Beds of flowers in bloom should, I would hope, attract the flower customers.
    It seems to me that "easy in and easy out" for vehicles would be important also as potential customers may be reluctant to drive down a narrow lane or driveway to get to the sales area. I know that I would be.

Bob

• hengal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thats a good idea about decorating for the holidays and one I didn't think of. I'm expanding the front beds and adding a few more this fall. Would like to aim for non-stop color next year. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Think of things attractive but also simple and not requiring a lot of maintenance. When you are the busiest, you'll have the least time to worry about display areas. A punk one will not entice customers in.

Nothing turns me off as much a garden/farm market where the plants look unkempt. I figure other details might be going by the board, too.

Aside from some stronger trees or shrubs which would go in-ground, think potted items. Use generous size pots which won't dry easily. Perhaps a raised bed, set with a few pots, mulched completely, and with a soaker hose system. Or something like that. If some plant goes "south" on you, just whip it out and smooth over the mulch. No one will be the wiser.

• Tom1953
    18 years ago

I have had stands in my front yard before. But the past few years the road has been noting but a dust bowl so I quit. Well now they came and tarred and stoned it, I will again try.
    Changes,
    1 Make it portable, I have an old camper trailer bed I will build upon.
    2 make it so my shevels out the front are on an angle so people can see what I have to sell.
    3 Add lights, sometimes I like to keep the stand open untill dark, but then I have to shut it down in the dark. Also if I have electricity then I can put up some decoration using lites and the blow up scarecrow and such.
    4 Keep it in sight of the house. Big mistake I made many years ago was to have it on the other side of the house. I lost money and cutomers because I wasn't able to keep things full.
    5 Insulate, with the hot sun beating down on my old stand I couldn't keep and extras at the stand.
    6 Make it easy to display other items, such as plants and fall decorations. I plan a stage, so I can Highlight new products or ones I need to push.
    7 Look at others stands around you, ask the owners what they would do to improve. Also think about what you don't like about theirs.
    Good luck
    Tom

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

I have privet hedges out front of my house, and I planted some beds in front of the hedges with hostas, blackeyed susans, mums, and bananas. All the plants that I'm trying to sell, what a coincidence....When something out front looks good, that's the time to whip out the good old "something for sale" sign. Works every time. If you have a good look, people want it.....

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors