Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markincalgary_gw

Some resources

markincalgary
19 years ago

I wouldn't call myself a market gardener. I do have my own garden, and I do work on a relatively large (per volunteer) community garden, but I'm by no means a professional. It is in my future plans though, which is why I like to read up on issues surrounding sustainable agriculture.

One of my favourite references is the second edition of 'Managing Cover Crops Profitably'. A PDF is free for download here at the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education's website.

I also think the second edition of Building Soils for Better Crops is particularly relevant to this forum.

SARE's publications are nice because they're reasonably up to date, and relavent to agricultural operations that are larger than personal gardens.

Anyways, I could list a lot more publications on agriculture that I've found interesting, but those are two of my favourites that are a lot less well known than Eliot Coleman's books.

Feel free to chime in with your own recommendations.

Comments (13)

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

Growing For Market is very good. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing For Market

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

So how many pages will a 20 ml HP ink cartrige print on a desk jet printer? Just wondering what it would cost to print at home. I like to have paper in my hands to read where ever.

Mark

• randy41_1
    19 years ago

growing for market is proof that the best way to make a lot of money is not selling at a farmers market but selling a magazine.
    sorry about being so cynical.

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

Randy41, where is your magazine?? sorry about being so cynical.

mark

• misterg
    19 years ago

I agree that 'growing for market' is a demonstration of the best way to make money by NOT growing anything - unimpressed. totally. great ADS in it though.

I don't have a magazine either - in case you were going to ask.

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

GFM is full of information and she is a flower farmer and grows some vegetables. Articles written by a lot of different people and not everything applies to everyone. The advertizements are not only good but a lot of them. The number of subscribers must be pretty good to attract that many ads.

Mark

• randy41_1
    19 years ago

so you've seen her farm mark?

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

No, have not seen the farm, I guess she could make it all up. I'm not arguing about this, I'm just saying a lot of people write in the news letter. I google every now and then on a lot of market gardening topics and read a lot. I then use what fits me at the time. Right now I'm building a greenhouse to raise tomatoes in, just to get the jump on the season, no big heating system. I'm planning on building my raied beds so that the can one day be covered by a greenhouse. My final plan is to garden under plastic and produce crops early to get the better prices.

Mark

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

Lynn Bryzinsky runs Wild Onion farm near Lawerence KS.

I have been a 10 year subscriber to GFM and still get quite a lot out of most issues. The articles are written by fellow growers ( know several and have seen their farms) and researchers in the field. There is a lot of good marketing and farming info in the publication. the ads are okay but AcresUSA has a better volume and diversity of such advertisers because it is a much larger magazine.

If you went into this line of work thinking you'd get rich-Ha!! I guess you have learned a thing or two and have rid yourself of such romantic notions.

And I don't think GFM is a great example of getting rich by publishing a newsletter. But it is a great example of diversity. Lynn has many irons in the fire to make a go of her lifestyle, as should we all. Diversity is key.

Acres is a nother good eco-ag publication

there are some excellent email lists as well.

• randy41_1
    19 years ago

mark...theres an article on the new farm website about large areas being covered for growing....
    sorry...now i cant find it.

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

Yes, I get email every month from New Farm. The Haygrove system is very impressive.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: new farm

• heidi41
    19 years ago

I, too, have been a subscriber to GFM for quite some time. I find the newsletter extremely informative, a lot of down to earth information. Real farmers just like yourself share their expierences and knowledge. And so what if GFM is making money from their newsletter. Aren't we all trying to earn money??????????Happy Gardening HEIDI

• bryan_ut
    19 years ago

I too like GFM, BUT if the Arnoskys keep up their slop and vacation notes as of late, I will not re-new my subscription. Lynn needs to find another writer for the floral department.

Sponsored