Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you sell chives?

Posted by prairiemaid z3 MB Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 05 at 20:16

How do you bundle or present it? What do you charge? What is your general response to it? Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you sell chives?

I do small bundles maybe 1/4 oz that out a rubber band around. I charge a buck a bundle and i sell maybe 3 or 4 bundles a season-chives are not very popular in my area. But they are easy to grow and I mainly grow themn for the CSA members

o

I sell a 1&1/2" bundle for $1.00. They are great because they are perennial and fool-proof. Plant a clump of about 6-10 sprigs every 6" on a wide bed, mulch well and start cutting. My best customer is a restaurant, which buys a bunch every week. Still, even if I throw away half of what I pick, I'm only out 1 minute to clip and band a bunch.

I found that the bed needs renovation every other year or else they get crowded. That's an opportunity to divide clumps and pot them up for sale at $3.00/clump! Be sure to mulch chives well, and cut them back at least once during the season, after flowering. Some people have sold the flowers, too.

o

My chives are flowering right now and I am thinking that a few stems of chives in flower might make a nice addition to a bouquet of cut flowers.
I sell the plants in 4" pots but once you have them established in your garden you sure as heck don't ever need to purchase them again so I don't set the world on fire selling the plants. Mine somehow got started in a flower bed and now are trying to take over!

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here