Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Cider Pressing of the Year

Posted by henhousefarms (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 20:39

Ran our first cider this week - about 120 gallons total. Had a lousy year in the orchard last year so this pressing is greatly expected by our customers. Sure was hot picking and washing the apples. We have a press but do not have a certified building to work in so we run it down to an Amish orchard that does custom pressing - they press the apples you bring in as you wait so you know that you get back the juice from your apples. Dad's the blend master so getting our own juice back is important to him. Blend was about 85% Red Delicious and 15% Gala to give it a little tang. Makes me think it really is fall.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Cider Pressing of the Year

i want some.please.

o

Hope there is some left when we get there. Love the idea about having a custom presser available.

o

Super exciting, glad you had a good apple year, and having a neighbor do the custom pressing is fantastic.

Around here most of our trees produce every other year and this is the off year for many. We have plenty for our own cider but i'm missing the variety.

o

Don't worry, Marla, we are planning on getting another pressing ready this week. The trees really bore well this year but the size and quality are not great so most are going to cider. It's a shame but thus is the way of the world.

Tom

o

That's a good way to use those apples though. I have sooty blotch really bad this year and really don't want to sell them so ugly. I've really struggled getting good tree fruit. There are just so many bugs, diseases, and critters after them. I do well with pears and Asian pears though.

o

Thanks tom, working on this next weekend.

Brooke, do you have pears that we could get a 1/2-1 bushel for canning?

o

Marla, my trees are only just beginning to put on much fruit. Sorry. All my European pears except for one Bosc are done for the year, and I'm down to a few seckels and 2 kinds of Asian pears. So, no, I have no canning pears. What I have are spoken for. Woodpeckers claimed most of my early pears. Out of one loaded tree, I got 7. There's a lot of stinkbug damage this year, but they have been delicious. Quality Asian pears command a very high price. One local store wants $2.50 apiece. I couldn't dream of charging so much. They're heavy bearers and keep practically forever.

o

That's ok, brookw, just thought I would ask. Pears aren't easy to find around here.

My mother had a early old Sugar Pear, and the hornets/bees would invade when they were ready. The tree is long gone, and she's not missing the hornets/bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here