Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help! Cold nights!

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Haven't got the plastic up yet, was hoping to do it this weekend but showers/rain all day tomorrow now, not starting in afternoon. And Sunday morning low is supposed to be 46 (49 at 4am, falling to 46 at 7-8am, rising slowly about 1 degree per hour after that) with "feels like" temp of 42 due to high humidity and 7-8mph winds. Sumday night/Monday AM will be even colder - 41.

Tomatoes are pretty tough, I picked big blushing heirlooms and stripped the determinates today, planned on pulling them this weekend. Took off dry and diseased foliage but only the worst, tried to leave some (can take off early in the week) to insulate the greenies since I have some nice big ones out there. Cherry tomatoes may not survive - I should have picked those today but have filled all my buckets and bins.

But my peppers! Not even beginning to ripen (except for Hinkelhatz) - will they survive Sunday's lows? Should I pick them green (OK for jalapenos and serranos, but I really wanted to let Aji Limon, Tequila Sunrise, Alma, Cornu di Toro, etc. ripen)?

It is supposed to warm up on Monday - high 69, low 52 but then Tuesday more rain and lows in the 40's again. I was worried about the end of the month but now forecast has changed.

I might be able to cover the peppers - they're pretty tall, I need to buy wire for hoops since my (from strawberry bed) are too short. But will they survive and ripen if I cover them with black landscape fabric each night? That's all I have in good size right now, row cover is lightweight and ripped. Zukes have outgrown their hoops so I don't know if I'll be able to save 2nd planting.

I might just save the plastic and wiggle wire until spring - I don't think I can get DH to help me put it on in the rain tomorrow :-(

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert