Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflower_mk

Researching starting a Farmers Market

sunflower_mk
18 years ago

Hi,

I've been asked to research and then start/manage a Farmers Market in our "getting ready to burst at the seams area". It will be sponcered by the county Farm Bureau. Any info would be helpful, esp. hours it will take to manage, salary, niffty ideas to draw people and mostly getting vendors. I already have the CA certifing rules but would like to know what all I'm getting into.

Thank You for any info you have,

MaryKay

Comments (4)

• ohiorganic
    18 years ago

I would get a steering committe together to work on site, rules,fees, events, health rules, dealing with the city/county etc. Than set up a board out of the steering commttee to oversee the running of the market.

Get a copy of "The New Farmer's Market by Corwin, Gibson and Rosenweig.

You are getting into a project thast is huge for one person to attempt and big for 15 people to deal with. I hellped set up a farmers' markeyt in Ohio 2 years ago and it took hundreds of hours but the market is doing well in its' second year.

• benedita
    18 years ago

ATTRA is a great resource www.attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/farmmarket.pdf
    The USDA's Agriculture Marketing Service also has good information available. http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/

There are also many legal & liability issues you should be familiar with. Neil Hamilton's book is a must read. www.statefoodpolicy.org/legal_guide.htm

Good luck!
    Benedita

• UpstateNYgardener
    18 years ago

Get in touch with the folks who run the one in Hamilton, New York. It is an institution and farmers do well. It has become a significant part of life in the village. There are many other events held adjacent to it and all thrive. Visit www.partnersatwork.org to find info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rural Life 2.0

• Tom1953
    18 years ago

Good Luck!
    Running a market looks like easy work from the outside. I spend many hours doing ads, brochures, and other promotions. Then at the market I attend to new vendor placement and disputes. Now don't get me wrong, I love doing it. Just be prepared to spend more time then you think you will. Get all the help you can and Organize!!!
    Good Luck
    Tom

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21