Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ecoli paranoia

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 21:50

We are preparing for a inspection to be able to sell to our local stores and restaurants. We have followed recomended safe practices for years but all the info I have been reading on ecoli has me paranoid as heck!
It appears that composting dosent necessarily kill it, it can lay dormant for long periods, heck after we sell the produce it can be contaminated. Can't wash it off for sure, even mild bleach rinse is no guarantee.

Seems like no way to win although we have never had an issue, don't fertalize growing crops with any type of raw manure. Use precautions when picking and handling, all products are reined 3 times before going to market but according to the reading non of that actually gets rid of it?

Yet I rarely hear of an outbreak that isint related to one of the above.

Reason for further concern or just my paranoia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ecoli paranoia

I think there's no need to worry. To the best of my knowledge, E-coli comes from raw manure and human fecal matter. Since you don't use the former, and I'm SURE you don't touch the latter (:)), there shouldn't be an issue.

Many of these e-coli outbreaks on commercial veggies can be traced to the veggie being handled by someone who previously touched something else that was contaminated with fecal matter, either from the same person or someone else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here