Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Does anyone sell to grocery stores?

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

I looked into the state requirements to sell wholesale in my state. Very little diffrence in that and what we already do. Wondering if anyone else does this? The wholesale market is tough, but we were thinking about marketing the specialty types of lettuce and greens we are now growing hydroponicly.

Comments (6)

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

we had a store as a customer for a while. here there were no special rules about selling to them.

• brookw_gw
    10 years ago

I sell to a healthfood store and love it.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I sold to a restaurant for awhile, but I couldn't keep up with what they wanted year around.

Since you say you've already checked into the rules for selling to stores, I won't mention that. Are you considering Indiana or are you close enough to Ohio?

There are rules to sell the stores now, one thing is the GAP that everyone has to supply to wholesalers now. Not a big thing, just something else to keep in writing.

We used to have a vendor that sold to Meijers, and Kroger used to buy from local, but now just the big guys (mega farms). Marsh also did. I don't know if any are near you.

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

I have sold periodically to the chain where I work for several years. I don't sell to the store where I work anymore due to some issues in the past, but I do sell to the local one. I don't think anything was needed other than setting up an account with corporate to be paid. The check comes a couple weeks later. Of course every store chain is different but I just talk with the produce manager. Then I give the produce manager a copy of the invoice to turn into corporate. She signs and sends it in.
    It is important what you sell be able to be rung up with the PLUs they already have. For instance when I wanted to bring in shallots, bulk, I had to make sure there was a bulk shallot PLU in the system and in the cash register look up list.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have had 2 that want on board but they are having issues getting worked out on their end. We are targeting a health food store this week. Hope to sell some greens.

We intend to continue production through winter and see what happens worst case the chickens will eat good!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Those of you that are selling wholesale to groceries or restuarants might want to check out the new FDA rules regarding doing just that. Small stores may not realize that there are rules, but there is many that started in the last couple of years. These are federal guidelines and rules, not just local ones.

It's to make things easier to find if there is a outbreak of ecoli or such.

Sponsored