Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_minnie

canopy repair question

little_minnie
10 years ago

I have a nice quality canopy but it just busted one of the small pieces that expands. I am not sure how to explain which ones I mean...It broke where the bolt is and it would need to be connected together again and have the bolt in there with the capacity to still pivot if you know what I mean. Real common break. Any way to fix?

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I haven't found that you can repair that piece, I do understand which piece, only replace. I keep any canopies that break for parts. Check with other vendors, they might have some replacements parts. Or you can go to the canopy's manufacturer's website and see if they have parts. What brand is it?

You are right, it is a very very common break, especially if the frame has been stressed by winds or lots of rain heat.

• Mark
    10 years ago

I fixed my old one by bridging the break with a metal plate on either side, with the bolt hole drilled through the center of them. The plates also have smaller holes drilled on either end for stability.

If this doesn't make sense, I could drag it out and take a pic.
    -Mark

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the replacement truss online for $10.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Congrats. Did you order just 1 or a couple? I would have ordered at least 2 if I could. Once 1 breaks or bend, it stresses the others.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ordered one but it is two pieces if you know what I mean.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Right, joined in the middle. If you find another one, get it for future breaks. Each truss is 2 individual pieces.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah heck. The way the diagram was on the website it looked like a whole 'x' came as one truss but it was just the one piece, not both. So while hub was replacing the broken one another broke! He was letting it get too askew as he worked and didn't realize how touchy they are. So we made a splint for tomorrow. It is supposed to be warm and very windy. Last time I didn't risk putting up the canopy with the broken truss because of the wind but tomorrow will be worse. The problem is without a canopy no one buys anything and just walks by, even when it is beautiful out. Plus no shade for certain veggies. So hopefully it will hold in the heavy wind tomorrow! Now I guess I will order more trusses (so mad I didn't get more- I thought 2 was enough and there was only one arggghh!). I will wait until after market just in case the whole thing goes down or something.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

If your canopy is getting that touchy, it's time to buy another one. Good thing is most are on end-of-season discount, except the really goods that never get discounted. Look for one of those that people don't want to store for the winter.

None of them will hold up to a heavy wind, sorry. Over 20-30 mph, we don't put ours up. Too much of a chance of losing it completely. We have the heavy duty ones that costs $200 each.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a Sam's Club EZ up which is brilliant. I am not sure why the piece snapped originally but hub was manhandling it to fix and that is how another broke. None of the rest look prone to cracking.
    Most vendors did not put up canopies today and it turned out to be a nice day and somehow shadier than usual but very windy.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Mine are EZups also, does your have a truss system across the center, not next to the cover? If so, I'm surprised, I haven't had problems with them as much as the others that the trusses are next to the cover. Those aren't worth much more than the cheapy ones.

I've had both.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I have the good strong one. I too was surprised when a truss broke. I left it out for two nights but no wind or rain and then it broke. The second broke due to stress of manhandling when repairing. Also the canopy is the top weight I can lift up high into my pickup. I hope my lifting/dropping doesn't hurt it.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

It does wear it out more quickly, but it should have still lasted about 5 years or so. I've found that I have to tighten bolts every year or so. Ours were used 2-3 times per week for about 26 weeks per year and the newest one is about 5-6 years old. The top is giving out but the frame is still OK.

I did notice another vendor with a EZUp that had several side trusses broken, so I don't know if he's just harder or what.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company