Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garliclady_gw

Has anyone seen this sold at markets?

garliclady
19 years ago

We have a garlic farm and always have damaged or unsellable garlic. We make garlic powder. But for winter market (especially Christmas) I have thought about making homemade "Garlic Dog Biscuits" In our upscale market I think they would sell. Has anyone tried this? Any Idea how to price them any help would be apreciated

The Garlic Lady

Comments (15)

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

There is someone in Olympia, WA who sells dog biscuits - they are closing down their retail outlet (?) to sell exclusively on the internet because they are doing so well on the internet. Check prices on the internet.

You could wholesale them to [independant] pet shops, grooming parlors, and veterinarians (most small animal vets around here sell retail items - at an extremely high mark up) - probably sell as many as you could make.

• sandhill_farms
    19 years ago

I have a friend in Washington State who's wife sells dog biscuits on the Internet. You can contact them and see if they're interested. If you do please let them know that Greg in Nevada pointed you in their direction. I hope it works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Paws Pantry

• gponder
    19 years ago

The nice thing about making dog biscuits is that you don't have to have a certified kitchen in my state. One vendor has a very interesting assortment of unique and healthy dog biscuits. She actually has customers who buy them for themselves to eat. All I'm told is that they need a little salt!!! Otherwise they're delicious. Good Luck.

• huisjen
    19 years ago

Um...not to rain on your parade, but a dog with garlic breath and dragon farts doesn't sound like such a good idea to me...

Katey

• garliclady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

There are recipes and places all over the internet that sell garlic dog biscuits . The garlic acts as a natural flea repellant. Hm now No fleas or chemicals on me, My children or my dog or garlic dog breath (which I have most of the time anyway) I rather put up with garlic dog breath .
    The Garlic Lady

• garliclady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I meant I have garlic breath not dog breath oophs
    GL

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

I have seen dog biscuits sold at farmers' markets but if they are not at your market than they are brand new. Go for it. Pet items can make you some serious cash.

I made garlic powder for the first time last year and it has gotten a nice following. I get $2 an ounce for it.

• cedar_wa
    19 years ago

What a great idea!!! My kids used to make "people crackers" for all of their dog friends for gifts. Dogs do like garlic a lot. And the crackers smell good enough to eat.

• Patsyptrsn
    19 years ago

At our market my friend Leaha is next to me and sells about a dozen kinds of garlic. I gave her a recipe for garlic jelly I got off the net. She gives samples and sells a jar for $4.oo. A good way to use those heads that don`t look as nice and almost always sells out. She also sells pickled garlic.

• garliclady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks patsy i do sell apple garlic jelly my own recipe
    oh by the way the garlic dog biscuits are selling great
    gl

• gooselady_OR
    19 years ago

Garlic and onions can be toxic to dogs and cats - be sure to do some research before you cook them up. Yes, I know that everybody sells dog garlic treats, but it is still toxic to them so please make sure that you don't overdo.

• garliclady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

From the research I have seen Garlic is safe for dogs. The vets sell garlic pills for dogs.
    GL

• Dibbit
    19 years ago

The exact toxicity of garlic is still somewhat in question for dogs. It will give horses hemolytic anemia, which can lead to liver damage and even death if left untreated. Usually stopping feeding it works, but if it wasn't caught in time... There seemingly (I don't now remember the citations) are 2 or more studies which said the potential for anemia was there with dogs. While feeding garlic to horses became widespread only in the last few (6-10) years, dogs have been fed garlic for a lot longer, so I would say the extreme danger isn't there. That said, I stopped feeding my fox-hound a teaspoon of dried garlic with her dinner - I still give her a supplement that has garlic in it, but it's a much smaller dose. I don't think an occasional treat will do much harm.

Onions, on the other hand, WILL kill dogs. They can get away with infrequent, small amounts, but it's a much quicker mechanism than getting anemia - I have read of dogs dieing within a week of eating a fair-sized (serving spoon or more) portion of onions. I don't let my dog have anything that has onions in it, nor broth with onions cooked in it.

• digit
    19 years ago

I was somewhat skeptical about what was said about onions being toxic to dogs so did some checking. Dog gone it, I'd always thought that I had something special to share with a garden-visitor of canine persuasion but here's what the vets at universities in California, Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois had to say:

Onions, especially raw onions, have been shown to trigger hemolytic anemia in dogs. (Stephen J Ettinger, D.V.M and Edward C. Fieldman, D.V.M. 's book: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine vol. 2 pg 1884.) http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/TOXINS/dogs.htm

. . . all forms of onions--cooked, raw, dehydrated--contain sulfur compounds. When your pet ingests onions, these compounds are broken down into what are known as disulfide compounds, and these are toxic to red blood cell membranes . . . do not feed your pet table scraps that contain onions in any shape or form.
    http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/toxiconions.html

Other foods that are toxic to animals are onions and garlic. Even foods spiced with garlic or onion salts should be avoided. These foods contain sulfides, which can cause hemolytic anemia (destruction of red blood cells).
    http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=366

Garlic has not been shown to consistently repel fleas (despite the evidence that garlic has many beneficial effects in humans). http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/faculty_staff/Users/noxon/pages/natural.html

I hope this doesn't rain too much on the doggy parade. Here's another idea for your dog biscuits - carrots. I know from experience that dogs like carrot biscuits and I see nothing about garden carrots being toxic.

Digit

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Garlic is a medicinal herb so dogs shouldn't be eating it daily - just as we wouldn't take antibiotics daily. If a dog is portly and has blocked arteries it's safer to get it off commercial dog tucker and onto meaty bones than try thinning blood with garlic.

On a different tack - perhaps you could use your 'seconds' to make up organic plant sprays. I know I'm reluctant to use good eating cloves for this purpose, but I'd love to use the spray for pest/mold control. It might even keep the kids away from the plums! (LOL)

And you probably already make garlic-flavoured salad oils - avocado oil, sunflower, olive, walnut.

Could they be roasted, for adding to pasta sauces? (Yum!)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional